Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 vs MSI R9 390

ProtoAMP

Reputable
May 28, 2015
It seems the two cards are very similar in performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9cKZiJw6Pk
Im aiming to get a 144Hz monitor aswell, so will one card outperform another, if I try and get the highest settings possible at that framerate? Btw, if it helps, Im gaming at 1080p and want to have future compatibility for higher resolutions...(hence me looking at the 390). They both have a similar price, the msi r9 390 is £265 and the gigabyte g1 is £280 and I will be overclocking.

Also, I do youtube so I want to be able to record 1080p, 60fps at a high bitrate. I also want to have the shadow record feature so that leaves either shadowplay or amd raptr. Is one better than the other because whilst shadowplay is really popular, I cant find anyone who uses raptr, nor are there any reviews of them recently incase they've fixed something?

Being at the same price point and I also want to record with it, which one would you guys suggest and why.

Solution
I feel that the R9 390 is the best bang for your buck as for right now. It is cheaper and has more Vram.

I’ve looked at benchmarks and they are pretty neck and neck until you hit 4k resolution. Both are great cards, but if I had a choice I’d go for the R9 390 as of right now.

oscarluu

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
I feel that the R9 390 is the best bang for your buck as for right now. It is cheaper and has more Vram.

I’ve looked at benchmarks and they are pretty neck and neck until you hit 4k resolution. Both are great cards, but if I had a choice I’d go for the R9 390 as of right now.

Solution

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Both have the ability to record videos without any lose of performance but I feel that nvidia shadowplay is more straightforward to use. Personally I'd buy the one that's cheaper or quieter.

Liamace123

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
I would hands down recommend the 390 its what I use and its a beast I have tried the 970 and its still great card its jut not up there with the 390. With the 390 it feels like i can PUSH it to the limit and it wont break a sweat.

hhkk

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I'd avoid Gigabyte Gigabyte products AT ALL COSTS! If it breaks after 30 days, you'll still need to pay to get it fixed/replaced. Doesn't matter how long the warranty period is. After a few emails and an hour-long call to their customer center with their operations manager, Gary Tam, warranty manager, Maggie Lin, and service manager, Chuck Liu, they basically told me that they're not responsible for the defective product. If I don't want to pay the extra fee, they're not going to fix it. They also said that since they're a manufacturer, not a retailer, and it doesn't matter if the customer's not happy with their service and product.

Quote:
"PowerColor's R9 390 PCS+ is currently available online for $340, which is $10 more than AMD's reference design pricing, a reasonable increase if you only look at the R9 390. You can find the GTX 970 online for $310, which is definitely a better option in terms of performance, power draw, and noise—pretty much everything. Don't get me wrong, this isn't PowerColor's fault as their card is good for a R9 390; it's AMD's old technology and their pricing that affects the product negatively. What the R9 390 has going for it is its large 8 GB memory capacity, though it doesn't make a difference because this is a 1080p-performance-class card. Unfortunately, that extra memory is also the reason why the price is so high compared to the R9 290 4 GB that can be found for as little as $250, a price point that delivers excellent value for the money, and you're not missing out on any features.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/30.html
perfrel_1920.gif