Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P & AMD FX 6300

OtherRepix

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2016
So me and my friend built a PC yesterday with a result that everything powered up, but no display to the Monitor at all.

So we just need to know if these will work together:

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P - AMD 970
AMD FX 6300 Black Edition.

And then we use the: XFX 500W XT

As we have noticed that processors uses their own power connectors.. but we only had one for the CPU Fan... so does it work together?

Solution
When you build, you need to ensure all connectors are plugged in. The CPU should require a 8 pin connector, looking similar to a PCI-e connector, but not quite the same.

Also, make sure that you have your PSU on. This has happened to me before.

SkywalkerHsu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
When you build, you need to ensure all connectors are plugged in. The CPU should require a 8 pin connector, looking similar to a PCI-e connector, but not quite the same.

Also, make sure that you have your PSU on. This has happened to me before.

Solution

Icecoldk1ll3r

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Hi all,

I am hoping somebody can help with the same issue with same MoBo and CPU.

Here is my component list:

My Hardware Specs

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P (Rev 2.0) Black & grey edition
CPU : AMD FX6300 (6 core) processor (AM3+ socket) Not overclocked. Standard clock. (3.4 GHZ approx)
CPU Cooler : Using Standard stock cooler, had problem with my purchased upgraded one. (Will be replaced once system works)
RAM : 2x 4GB HyperX FURY DDR3 memory at 1333 MHZ (8GB total)
Graphics Card (GPU) : Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 (1 GB DDR5) (draws power from MB)
Power Supply : 480w Generic Standard PSU.
SSD : Crucial BX100 SD Drive 250 GB
HDD : None installed at the moment
Optical Drives : Not connected as of yet

I have connected all appropriate power supplies such as the 12V for the CPU, the ATX for the motherboard and the fan connectors for the CPU and system respectively. I have also checked that the CPU and RAM are compatible with this MoBo through Gigabyte (MoBo Manufacturer) website and a well known PC build site.

I have connected my GPU (Graphics) into the first PCI Express slot (x16) and shows life with the fan operating. However, while connected via HDMI to my monitor, it does not show video/output/picture on the screen. My monitor goes back to sleep as it cannot detect a signal/input. I have tried to use an alternative connection but my graphics card does not support VGA and sadly, I realised that the motherboard doesn't have an on-board video chipset. I have also tested this on the 4x slot to see if the 16x slot was faulty.

GPU card supports DVI, HDMI and D-Sub. (Haven't tried DVI as I don't have cable as of yet but should arrive soon)

The GPU comes from my previous build, which works fine, but my old build just needed an update to meet today's and tomorrow's needs (Old build works fine also). So I know the GPU works well, plus it will also have the most updated firmware on the GPU (albeit, on an older MB). Worked last night without issues.

Is this a common problem with this MB regarding the video output?

I have done a few tests such as
1) Using only one RAM module and running it then
2) Reconnected all power cables to ensure I have inserted them fully and correctly
3) Disconnected my DVD drive and SDD to see if it is a power shortage (Nope, still have same problem)
4) MB & CPU boot up when graphics card is removed from MB (but of course, definitely no video)
5) Also tried running it without any RAM. No POST Screen up/video output and no beep notification. MB and CPU Fans all running.

I am not sure if the BIOS is outdated and requires updating. I was hoping that this MB was updated to an acceptable version to allow for accessing at least the POST (Power On Self Test) screen.

Am I missing anything to ensure I can at least access the BIOS start up screen?
I have also done the following to check for these issues.

1) Inserted GPU into the other PCI Express slot (at 4x) to see if the 16x is faulty. Still doesn't show video.
2) Clear the CMOS back to factory settings (popped the battery out and left for 5 mins) Flushed out the power too. Still nothing changed.

Compared to my old build, I had noticed the following on this new MoBo & CPU.
1) Ethernet light doesn't appear when booted up.
2) No initial beep to say PC is booting up
3) No warning beeps to notify me if RAM, CPU etc are missing. Speaker is connected from chassis to MoBo. Confirmed it works as old build detects any errors (e.g took out RAM)
4) Mouse does not show tracking light (Infra-red) when started up

Does anyone have this combination and what PSU are you currently using. (Please provide Watt output & brand).
I am now thinking it may be the PSU due to the wattage and the fact I have had this particular one for a while, it has probably lost some of it output. (From when new [3yrs ago] 480w output, 230 Voltage).

Could somebody advise especially those who have this motherboard please.

I appreciate your help.

jacksonalan02

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Is the motherboard new? If so then it may not be booting because the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P doesn't support AMD FX-series processors when they come new. You have to update the BIOS here - http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-2x#ov