[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-G41m-combo Rev2 mobo: No display on monitor, beeps, reboots

May 22, 2020
Around 4 years back, was upgrading Slackware 14.1 to 14.2. Network speed was low. CPU was kept inside a wooden cabinet with almost no ventilation. CPU gave an alarm "CPU over temperature". That day, I left the machine switched off, since I had purchased a laptop. Not touched it till yesterday.
When I powered up this machine yesterday, 8 to 10 short beeps and it reboots. Saying reboots, since CPU fan switches off and switches on, along with LED red and green at front
Machine cannot be over heated now, since it is just powered up
Can some one please indicate what may be the issue? If the repair is to be a costly affair, I will scrap this machine

Last edited:
Solution
Countmike
I am disappointed. Are you suggesting that this machine is beyond repair?
This mobo is a combo one. even if the CMOS battery fails, there is a back up. It says DualBios technology...so.. can you guide as to how to resolve this issue?
Even dual BIOS has only one CMOS memory backed up by one battery. Dual BIOS is good only if one BIOS fails or get corrupted. If CMOS battery is too depleted it may act as a short and prevent boot up. They are extremely cheep and worth trying.
Other than oxidized contacts you may also want to check for capacitors for leaks or if any top is bubbled up which all can happen when overheated.
Around 4 years back, was upgrading Slackware 14.1 to 14.2. Network speed was low. CPU was kept inside a wooden cabinet with almost no ventilation. CPU gave an alarm "CPU over temperature". That day, I left the machine switched off, since I had purchased a laptop. Not touched it till yesterday.
When I powered up this machine yesterday, 8 to 10 short beeps and it reboots. Saying reboots, since CPU fan switches off and switches on, along with LED red and green at front
Machine cannot beover heated now, since it is just powered up
Can some one please indicate what may be the issue? If the repair is to be a costlyaffair, I will scrap this machine
I would repack whole thing and it's wiring and also change CMOS battery, that one is most probably dead by now and contacts on wiring and other parts could be rusty.

May 22, 2020
Countmike
This mobo is a combo one. even if the CMOS battery fails, there is a back up. It says DualBios technology...so.. can you guide as to how to resolve this issue?

Countmike
Even dual BIOS has only one CMOS memory backed up by one battery. Dual BIOS is good only if one BIOS fails or get corrupted. If CMOS battery is too depleted it may act as a short and prevent boot up. They are extremely cheep and worth trying.
Other than oxidized contacts you may also want to check for capacitors for leaks or if any top is bubbled up which all can happen when overheated.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS