[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P RAM support

Solution
what do you mean by 'The top one claims 16 chips'
The ad actually lists "16 chips" as a feature. Chips are those black squares on the stick. Your board can only support 2Gbit chips which means 256 megaBytes each (8 bits = 1 Byte). Therefore, if you want a 4 gigaByte stick that works, it must have 16 of these chips on it.

If a 4GB stick only has 8 chips on it, then it's for Nehalem to Ivy Bridge and won't work right on your Core 2.
The top one claims 16 chips so should work if it is. I wouldn't say it's picky, it just can only recognize the 2Gbit chips that were available at the time it was new and would be considered low density today 13 years later.

Only one stick is needed to match the bandwidth of the CPU's 1333 FSB but if you are using the IGP then two sticks is better. I guess two sticks is better too for no IGP as then you get 8GB, but it is no faster than one

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
The top one claims 16 chips so should work if it is. I wouldn't say it's picky, it just can only recognize the 2Gbit chips that were available at the time it was new and would be considered low density today 13 years later.

Only one stick is needed to match the bandwidth of the CPU's 1333 FSB but if you are using the IGP then two sticks is better. I guess two sticks is better too for no IGP as then you get 8GB, but it is no faster than one
No i am using a GPU gt1030 and i want 4gb of ram and then i want to upgrade to 8gb in few months so will these rams work and what do you mean by 'The top one claims 16 chips'

It happens that I currently have this same motherboard with 4Gb RAM (2 x 2GB).

I have a lot of DD3 RAM laying around, it works with whatever RAM I put on it, be it single-sided or double-sided.

So what I can say is that this motherboard is not picky at all, most of DDR3 @1333 will work.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
It happens that I currently have this same motherboard with 4Gb RAM (2 x 2GB).

I have a lot of DD3 RAM laying around, it works with whatever RAM I put on it, be it single-sided or double-sided.

So what I can say is that this motherboard is not picky at all, most of DDR3 @1333 will work.
This motherboard got rev 1.3 and 1.4 so what is the difference between rev 1.3 and 1.4 and will it change anything about the RAM and which rev do you have

This motherboard got rev 1.3 and 1.4 so what is the difference between rev 1.3 and 1.4 and will it change anything about the RAM and which rev do you have

As it's based on the G41 chipset, RAM support remains the same on two PCB versions, the only difference I could see is the Audio chipset that changes from the VT2021 to VT1708S module.

I have the GA-G41MT-S2 (without the P), it means that mine doesn't have the newer 4-phase CPU power circuit which improves the power stability (useful for overclocking).

what do you mean by 'The top one claims 16 chips'
The ad actually lists "16 chips" as a feature. Chips are those black squares on the stick. Your board can only support 2Gbit chips which means 256 megaBytes each (8 bits = 1 Byte). Therefore, if you want a 4 gigaByte stick that works, it must have 16 of these chips on it.

If a 4GB stick only has 8 chips on it, then it's for Nehalem to Ivy Bridge and won't work right on your Core 2.

Solution

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

Ohhhh so i need a RAM stick with 16 of those black chips the RAM that i listed above had 16 chips 8 on each side.