Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 won't boot from DVD drive

YvesT

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Ok so after months of trouble with my new setup.
I finally managed to get it running.

The computer booted the WIN8 installation from the old PC.
Though naturally i want to reinstall the OS and clean things up.

Though for whatever reason i cannot boot from my WIN8 dvd.
In windows the dvd is detected and i can read from it.
So i know the disc is readable and it should be bootable(tried other OS discs also).

But whenever i start the PC up i do not get the prompt to boot from disc.
In the bios using boot override and boot directly from the drive won't do anything either.

The drive i plan to use is connected to the backpanel eSata.
So at first i thought that would be the problem, but after connecting a drive to the internal sata ports i ended up with the same problem.

Tried resetting default bios value's, but nothing changed.
In all the years i being using gigabyte motherboard i have never had a problem like this.

Anybody got any idea what the heck this might be?

Thanks

Solution
for kicks, try this:

plug in ONLY the dvd drive, not the hard drive. let it automatically try to boot into the only device it can see (the DVD), and after you're in plug in the hard drive so that the Win8 installer can see it when it gets to it.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
for kicks, try this:

plug in ONLY the dvd drive, not the hard drive. let it automatically try to boot into the only device it can see (the DVD), and after you're in plug in the hard drive so that the Win8 installer can see it when it gets to it.

Solution

YvesT

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Sorry for the late reply.
What alexoiu suggested somewhat worked, but then after formating the drive it would not let me install to the drive.
Which was because i set it to uefi and it would not work on a disc with mbr.

So i did what giantbucket suggested with standard settings and it finally worked.
Though only once i put the drive on a regular sata port, the esata at the back does not seem to work for booting.