[SOLVED] Gigabyte GTX 1060 fans not spinning

shakes53

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2012
Hi,

*I understand that this card has an idle fan feature (fan off when temp < 60° C)

I've got a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb card with an 8-pin power connector. I plugged in a 6pin + 2pin to fulfill the power requirement.
It runs games like Apex Legends fine under load @ ~83° C (hot) with an external fan blowing into the case. The fans aren't spinning under load nor do they spin once temp > 60° C.

My troubleshooting:
  1. Fans do not spin on startup (like other owners reported).
  2. Used DDU to uninstall all current drivers and restarted.
  3. Reinstalled Nvidia drivers (430.86 Win 10 64 bit).
  4. Tested under load - still not spinning.
  5. Installed MSI afterburner & enabled manual fan speed - still not spinning.

Please help me find a solution:
Should I start the RMA process, or is there something I may be missing?

Thank you!

shakes53

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2012
Found this on bit-tech.net reviews
"3D Active Fan is Gigabyte's way of saying the card is semi-passive, with the fans switching off entirely once the GPU is cool enough (typically below 60°C). The 'Fan Stop' logo along the top edge will light up when this is the case. "

My 'Fan Stop' logo doesn't seem to turn off...

I would take the card out and make sure the fan connector is snuggly plugged into the cards PCB.
Are these the fan connectors? (2x 90mm fans, red: fan cables, orange: fan connectors)

*edit I think the bigger img might be a different card. Also, it seems i'm not the only one having this issue with this particular card. A reddit thread details similar troubleshooting as well as investigating the fan header as a final option before RMA.

Last edited: