Gigabyte gtx 1080 windforce oc blinking white LED... I've tried everything and now i turn to yall.

muddybum1979

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Long winded explanation incoming please be patient with me. I would like to write down everything i have done and the things i have learned so far.

Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC
Model # GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD

Motherboard: MSI-z77a-g45
CPU: i7-3770
PSU: tr2-700w P/N:tr-700 Model: TR2-700AL2NC-A When i look this up nothing matches whats on the side of my actual PSU unit. My Unit shows:
AC Input: Input Voltage 100V-240V Input Current: 10A Frequency 47HZ-63HZ
OUTPUT +3.3V @ 24A---+5V @ 24A---+12V@52A---(-12V@0.5A)---+5VSB@3.0A
Combined power of +5V and +3.3V is 120W Max Power output 700W

Yes i am aware that an i7-3770 is a bottleneck and I am working on that. I know its old.

From what i find on the interwebs this PSU is 52A on the +12V so that is (52A*12V= 624W) and it is a single rail +12V. When comparing these stats to the numerous recommendations across the webs about recommended PSUs for my version of the GTX1080 these stats fall within such recommended stats.

After so many blinking white leds i decided to cut everything not needed from the motherboard. Onboard Lan deactivated.
Sound card removed and onboard deactivated.
CPU Graphics disabled.
All USBs on MB and case power removed.
BlueRay removed.
Slave drive removed.
All fans and system fans removed except CPU fan.
I replaced my razor keyboard and mouse with just regular PS2 connected ones.

I have connected just the CPU with all turbo and overclocks off set to the standard 3.4GHz.
1 SSD Samsung 840 PRO
4 ddr3 1600 8Gig sticks dual channel at 32Gigs total not overclocked.
And the Gigabyte GTX1080 Windforce OC
Hooked to a LG 27UD69P-W through a Display Cable and i have tried with the HDMI as well.

The Gigabyte card comes with XTREME GAMING ENGINE software. it has 3 preconfigured clock settings.. overclock..gaming.. and ECO and also has 3 preconfigured fan settings Turbo...Auto and Silent. Also i set the Power Limit and Temperature Limit to stock 100% power limit and 83 target temp. Yes there are options for custom configurations but i kept to the preconfigured ones. I have tried all variations that can come from the 3 clock and 3 fan settings.

The PSU has 4 (6+2) PCIe power connectors. The card does use the 6+2 connector as 1 8pin. I have tried all four.
The Motherboard has 2 sli ready PCIe x16 slots. I have tried the one at PCI_E2 which runs at the full x16 and i have also tried the second PCIe slot at PCI_E5 which with a single card only clocks it to x8.
All above configurations cause GTX1080 White LED to blink.

Funny though. when i have everything plugged in all fans, sound cards, slave drives and blue ray the GTX1080 Blinks way way less. Like once every 15mins where as with just the basics, described above, it never stops blinking.

Yes i am currently looking at getting a new MB and CPU. I just dont understand why this PSU is giving me issues when stats wise it looks fine.

Please feel free to point out any mistakes or call me an idiot. I learn that way. :D

Any long winded explanations are welcome. I've been working on this for about 6 days now. Anything i have not answered or explained or tried i will be more than happy to answer any and all questions.

Thanks,
DirtyMudbutt

muddybum1979

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Thank you very much for the advice.

I managed to get a hold of a Corsair RM 850w Channel Well Technology from the Tier 2 List. And I'm happy to say that did the trick.

Nice to hear it got sorted out. :D