Question Gigabyte gtx 1660ti gaming oc 6gb has stopped working

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Hi all, first of all this was working fine earlier. Gone to upgrade my case and now my gpu won't output video. Red LED light on my motherboard indicating "vga" constantly on. My mobo has 4 red LEDs for troubleshooting boot problems. 1 for cpu. 1 for dram, one for vga and 1 for boot (ie no boot drive)

Firstly the spec.
Ryzen 5 2600x
Msi b450 tomahawk
Gigabyte gtx 1660ti gaming oc 6gb card
Msi gungnir 100 case.
Evga 750w gold psu
2x 8gb Kingston fury ram

This was all purchased in May of last year (except for the case which was a few days ago, I had reused my old cooler master cosmos s on a previous build when I upgraded that computer)

Steps taken to rectify:

1. take out gpu (blow with a can of compressed air) and put back in the PCIe slot
  2. Try the PCI x8 slot (same thing happens)
  3. Try another vga 6+2 pin cable
  4. Try another vga slot on the psu (the psu is modular and has 3 different slots for vga power)
  5. Removing cmos battery and reinserting
  6. My gpu has 4 outputs, 3x display port and 1x hdmi, I use display port and tried all 3, used my TV to try the hdmi slot.
When I moved the gpu to the pci x8 slot I forgot to plug in the 6+2 pin, and it did output to the screen to tell me I hadn't plugged it in and I should power down and connect it. All 3 fans power on on the gpu and the RGB "gigabyte" written on the top of the gpu lights up like it should.

Someone online mentioned a short on the motherboard to the case could be the culprit the mobo spacers are in their correct position after double checking.

What happens is I turn the pc on. Everything powers up like it should. On the mobo the led troubleshooting bit the cpu light comes on for a moment then goes off. A second or 2 later the vga led illuminates and stays like that.

Normally when the pc is off my monitor says "dvi no signal" (note I use a display port-dvi adapter) and then the led light goes orange and screen turns off. red is off, Blue is on and getting a signal and Orange is like a standby but will change to blue when the pc is turned on.

I turn the pc on now, the orange light turns blue and the screen "lights up" (still black but "powered on" black if that make sense) like its about to display my post screen but nothing happens and the red error light on the mobo lights up on the vga one.

I'm at a loss. Is there anything else I can try? I can possibly get hold of another psu to try but not until later I could get another graphics card to try but that would be harder unless I buy a super cheap one.

Lutfij

Titan
Evga 750w gold psu
EVGA is the brand, 750 is the wattage and Gold is the 80+ rating on the unit. It doesn't state the model for the PSU. Please state that.

You might want to breadboard the system with the bare minimum components(only boot drive) and see if your experience changes. You will also need to source another PSU from your friend or neighbor to rule out a faulty or failing PSU.

You could also try and remove the CMOS battery from the board, replace it after 15 minutes and see if that also helps. Mind you, make sure the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall prior to removing the CMOS battery.

gazza1988

Honorable
May 31, 2017
Evga 750w gold psu
EVGA is the brand, 750 is the wattage and Gold is the 80+ rating on the unit. It doesn't state the model for the PSU. Please state that.

You might want to breadboard the system with the bare minimum components(only boot drive) and see if your experience changes. You will also need to source another PSU from your friend or neighbor to rule out a faulty or failing PSU.

You could also try and remove the CMOS battery from the board, replace it after 15 minutes and see if that also helps. Mind you, make sure the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall prior to removing the CMOS battery.

I have a EVGA 750w GQ 80+ Gold PSU, I assume GQ was the part I missed out, apologies for that. Either way the part number is 210-GQ-0750-V3.

A mate of mine is passing my house in the next couple of hours from now and he said he'd drop off an old enermax 850 watt psu he has. He said he tried it last night on his current rig and it ran fine. He also said I could keep it if it is the psu (with mine being only 10 months old I'll rma it anyway).

I can't get another graphics card to try until I go to work tomorrow.

Another option is my mum has a store bought compaq pc from years ago (has vista license on the back!) so I could try it in that to rule out the motherboard. Thing is would I end up frying her psu if it can't handle the card?

Also I have tried threadboarding but thinking about it I didn't take out the new m2 hard drive. So perhaps that could be a reason.

Took out the CMOS battey but only for approximately 10 minutes. Basically I took it out, made a sandwich, had a cigarette and put the battery back in. I didn't time it but was over 10 minutes. So I'll try again later on.

Last edited: