Asdfguy86

Honorable
Jul 4, 2016
got an old pc for free a while back that had pretty good specs but there are some problems.
when the GPU is installed in the pc, it does not show anything on the screen whatsoever, sometimes it seems like the rest of the pc works because the drive activity light flashes a bunch of times

I have installed other graphics cards in the PC and some work (like an even older 8800 GT and 9500 GT), but the 1050 ti in my actual pc causes this free pc to not turn on at all.
my first guess was the GPU was dead but it works totally fine in my main pc, boots and plays games without any artifacts

specs of the PC this graphics card came with are below

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 (running latest BIOS, F8f)
cpu: AMD FX 8150
gpu: Gigabyte GTX 480 4GB GV-N680OC-4GB
psu: EVGA 700BQ 700w PSU
hdd: WB Blue 2TB
ssd: Kingston 240GB

like said before, the graphics card does work in my main pc which has a MSI B350 tomahawk, ryzen 5 1400, and 500w PSU

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

Here are some things you can try to resolve this problem

If there is another PCIe slot, try using that one
Try installing windows using one of the older cards you tried
Inspect the PCIe slot for any damage
Inspect the PSU connectors for any damage
Try asking the previous owner if the pc did show a display signal before and why he threw it out.

I have never experienced this before so I can only provide you with logical next steps.

Asdfguy86

Honorable
Jul 4, 2016
Hello,

Here are some things you can try to resolve this problem

If there is another PCIe slot, try using that one
Try installing windows using one of the older cards you tried
Inspect the PCIe slot for any damage
Inspect the PSU connectors for any damage
Try asking the previous owner if the pc did show a display signal before and why he threw it out.

I have never experienced this before so I can only provide you with logical next steps.

i've never had something like this happen to me before either so it's really bizzare

there is another PCIe slot, the card also doesn't work in it but both a 8800 GT and 9500 GT work in it, so the slot must be ok
i haven't looked at the highest PCIe slot up close, although I don't remember seeing anything bad when i looked at the pc
as for the PSU though, all the connectors are fine

i think what i will try next is to clean the PCIe slot. it's very strange that the GTX 680 does not display anything when connected and it doesn't even power on with a gtx 1050 ti