[SOLVED] Gigabyte H310M S2H GSM BIOS update + i7-8700 questions ?

Mar 21, 2022
I just bought a GIGABYTE H310M S2H GSM motherboard and am going to replace my old GIGABYTE motherboard.

I have a couple of questions regarding my CPU compatibility and BIOS version. (I am very new to this, apologies in advance)
I see most people say avoid updating the BIOS if the computer boots, however on the GIGABYTE'S manufacturer's website where you go to find the BIOS updates for download, the most recent version description for my H310M S2H GSM reads "Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest. " and the release date of this BIOS version is 2021/11/26, and I ordered this motherboard in 2022, so what I am wondering is if my motherboard has already been installed with this latest BIOS? This specific BIOS version they're recommending for updating to is named "FO".

I was looking up on Google to find ways of checking my motherboard's BIOS version without actually booting the system, and I've seen that there's sometimes a barcode with numbers, and the BIOS version will be the last four numbers, however what I'm confused about is the latest BIOS version they're recommending for download is listed as "FO", whereas other manufacturer's BIOS versions are actually listed as numbers, like Version 3004 for example, but that's not the case for this GIGABYTE motherboard.
Basically, is this version FO already installed on the motherboard?

And I think I already know the answer, the motherboard says it supports 8th generation Intel CPUs, so I assume my i7 8700 is compatible with this H310 chipset?
So mainly I'm just concerned about this security update. I don't want to "brick" or destroy my motherboard by trying to install this FO BIOS version for "security" when I don't know if it's already installed or not, should I go ahead?

The last four numbers on the barcode on my H310M S2H GSM motherboard reads as 1040. Is that the version number? Does this correlate to the correct BIOS version "FO" that they recommend updating to for security?

Do I need to worry about security on my BIOS at all in the first place?
Again, sorry if I missed any important details you need to answer this question, I will provide any further info if needed.

I also suppose all in all I can just install my new motherboard, and just see if it boots regardless, and then check in my system and perhaps that will give me my definite answer as to what BIOS version is installed, but I figured I'd go ahead and try to ask this before starting the installation.
Thank you for your time.
:)

Solution
You have mostly answered your own questions:
1. this mobo is compatible with the i7 8700 CPU since the oldest Bios (version FA). So there will be no problem installing and booting whatever the bios version that comes with you mobo.
The letters denomination for the bios versions is the standard system for this mobo. See

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-S2H-GSM-rev-11/support#support-dl-bios

2. I am pretty sure that there is no relation between the serial number on the barcode and the bios version that comes with the mobo. So, I don't see how you can tell the bios version without actually booting the mobo, unless somebody has already done it with this mobo and can tell you.
They only people who could possibly answer...
You have mostly answered your own questions:
1. this mobo is compatible with the i7 8700 CPU since the oldest Bios (version FA). So there will be no problem installing and booting whatever the bios version that comes with you mobo.
The letters denomination for the bios versions is the standard system for this mobo. See

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-S2H-GSM-rev-11/support#support-dl-bios

2. I am pretty sure that there is no relation between the serial number on the barcode and the bios version that comes with the mobo. So, I don't see how you can tell the bios version without actually booting the mobo, unless somebody has already done it with this mobo and can tell you.
They only people who could possibly answer this question would be Gigabyte support (you can find them here: http://esupport.gigabyte.com
or maybe a telephone number in your country

3. Do you have to do the Bios update to the last secure version ? That is a personnel question that nobody can answer for you: do you take the risk (there is always a small risk) if everything is running smoothly?

Solution