Gigabyte Intros Bay Trail J1800 Based Mini-ITX Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Honestly I think they missed a few marks. If they had added a second Ethernet port, and made that Mini-PCIe slot mSATA compatible, it would have been awesome to use in a gateway/firewall/vpn appliance. Low price. Low power. Low heat. Low profile. ...almost had it.

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Honestly I think they missed a few marks. If they had added a second Ethernet port, and made that Mini-PCIe slot mSATA compatible, it would have been awesome to use in a gateway/firewall/vpn appliance. Low price. Low power. Low heat. Low profile. ...almost had it.
Then this is what you want http://global.shuttle.com/main/productsDetail?productId=1718 I just bought 5 of them at my work. Nice little computers

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Then this is what you want http://global.shuttle.com/main/productsDetail?productId=1718 I just bought 5 of them at my work. Nice little computers

InvalidError

Titan

Bay Trail should be more than powerful enough to handle decoding 1080p h264. Even my stock C2D-E8400 can simultaneously decode 4-5 1080p streams in full-software decode. The GPU in it is a Radeon HD3670 so the only hardware assist the CPU gets is video overlay re-scaling.

So, even if Bay Trail is half as efficient as C2D, it should still have enough grunt to handle two 1080p streams even if its IGP does not do hardware decode.

Guys, for $60 what else are you expecting? This is a great value. It can run Linux great for a simple Web-surfing and a Multimedia PC.For the more geeks, you can buy this $60 combo, put in 8GB RAM for $70, buy two 3TB WD Green HDD, download FreeNAS and set up a NAS for pretty cheap.This is the perfect for people on a budget. I mean for a home-surfing PC, this is great :

CPU+Mobo = $60 |
4GB RAM = $30 |
PSU = $30 |
HDD (500GB) = $50 |
Cooler Master Elite 120 = $35 |
Operating System = Linux Mint 16 (Mate is preffered) |

There you have it, a nice web surfing and media streaming machine for about $200.This is a great value.

Sarnewdfius

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
ITX boards are small, affordable, and feature-rich; great for general use (HTPC, office, homework, etc.)...the vast majority of users. ITX typically isn't a good match for gamers, power users, or file servers (yes, there are exceptions). For these people, mATX/ATX is far more cost-effective and practical.For general use, unless we spend $$ for niche components, we're stuck with using a gigantic ATX PSU and a case to match. How ridiculous when paired with an ITX board. Come on, manufacturers/designers....give us an easy/affordable way to adopt ITX and take advantage of the tiny footprint. This Gigabyte board is a great start, but it's not enough. Not all of us want to buy a proprietary device (NUC/Brix/Mac Mini/ChromeBox, I'm looking at you).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS