News Gigabyte Juices Up GeForce RTX 3080 With a Third 8-pin PCIe Connector

Bastard2k

Prominent
Feb 18, 2020
Im starting to feel a little ripped off with a first gen card that crashes in browsers unless i set the car to run at full pop or disable hardware acceleration. Im not convinced this is a hardware issue either but the silence from manufacturers, combined with these quietly re-designed cards is making me wonder.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Dont understand why is there a need for so many power connectors. If anyone is using a PSU that just meets the specifications, they probably aren't going to use this card at all. The wires used be brands like seasonic are 18AWG which is good enough for 10A. 6 x12V wires total up 600W. (excluding 75W from PCIE connector).

InvalidError

Titan
Dont understand why is there a need for so many power connectors.
Simple: the PCI-SIG heavily under-rated cables and connectors to cover their asses in case some manufacturer decided to use horrible wires and connectors so we end up "needing" twice as many connectors as we should by connector manufacturers' specs. Another related reason would be that lower quality PSUs tend to have fewer cables to cut costs, so requiring more power cables reduces the likelihood of crappy PSUs getting paired with components they shouldn't be used with.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 21, 2021
Simple: the PCI-SIG heavily under-rated cables and connectors to cover their asses in case some manufacturer decided to use horrible wires and connectors so we end up "needing" twice as many connectors as we should by connector manufacturers' specs. Another related reason would be that lower quality PSUs tend to have fewer cables to cut costs, so requiring more power cables reduces the likelihood of crappy PSUs getting paired with components they shouldn't be used with.
So basically there is no difference in rev 1.0 and rev 2.0. Both works identically same ? other I will make life of gigabyte Germany miserable for selling me rev 1.0 when they wanted to come up with rev 2.0 in just 2 months.

Im starting to feel a little ripped off with a first gen card that crashes in browsers unless i set the car to run at full pop or disable hardware acceleration. Im not convinced this is a hardware issue either but the silence from manufacturers, combined with these quietly re-designed cards is making me wonder.

Mines rock solid, that is not normal behaviour.

Mines rock solid, that is not normal behaviour.

Nvidia released new drivers today so hopefully those get rid of some of the issues we're experiencing.
I get black screens so sporadically now that I can't pin down the cause. Going to do a safemode reinstall of windows, drivers, etc. if the new nvidia drivers don't fix it.

Thank god it's (almost) friday