Question Gigabyte M28U: Black Screen Delay for 3-4 seconds when Alt + Tabbing from Full Screen Games. Any ideas on how to fix please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machado86

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well! I need some assistance please. Hoping someone can help me resolve this, as it's really driving me insane o_O

So I picked up a Gigabyte M28U 4K 144hz monitor today, plugged into my RTX 3080 via Display Port, and noticed when I Alt + Tab from a full screen game I get a black screen for about 3 seconds before it gets to the desktop, which doesn't sound so bad on paper, but in practice it is incredibly frustrating, especially given my last few monitors didn't have this issue at all with the exact same system running full screen games, albeit different resolutions (Zowie 240hz 1080p, and Alienware 144hz 3840x1600p respectively). I've updated the firmware to the latest available (F07), but no luck.

Borderless Window mode "fixes" this black screen delay issue, but is utterly horrible otherwise, especially for competitive FPS games adding input lag and stutter. Interestingly when I return to my game it loads instantly, no black screen at all which is nice. Also interestingly when I'm in a full screen game and press Ctrl + Alt + Del and click Task Manager, it takes me back to the desktop instantly, so I'm really puzzled why Alt + Tab is causing this 3 second black screen delay.

Anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening, and how I can potentially resolve it? For the record I love the monitor otherwise, but if it's a limitation of the monitor and cannot be resolved with a software or firmware fix, it would be a deal breaker for me as I Alt + Tab out of games very regularly for many reasons, and this will absolutely drive me insane. Thank you in advance 🙏

EDIT
: I've discovered overnight this might be a limitation based on the DSC implementation of this monitor. When set to 60hz in the Nvidia Control Panel, there is no delay when alt tabbing, only when on 144hz. Now I'm wondering if this could ever be fixed with Firmware or Software. Does anyone know this this is possible, or just stuck with it?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well! I need some assistance please. Hoping someone can help me resolve this, as it's really driving me insane o_O

So I picked up a Gigabyte M28U 4K 144hz monitor today, plugged into my RTX 3080 via Display Port, and noticed when I Alt + Tab from a full screen game I get a black screen for about 3 seconds before it gets to the desktop, which doesn't sound so bad on paper, but in practice it is incredibly frustrating, especially given my last few monitors didn't have this issue at all with the exact same system running full screen games, albeit different resolutions (Zowie 240hz 1080p, and Alienware 144hz 3840x1600p respectively). I've updated the firmware to the latest available (F07), but no luck.

Borderless Window mode "fixes" this black screen delay issue, but is utterly horrible otherwise, especially for competitive FPS games adding input lag and stutter. Interestingly when I return to my game it loads instantly, no black screen at all which is nice. Also interestingly when I'm in a full screen game and press Ctrl + Alt + Del and click Task Manager, it takes me back to the desktop instantly, so I'm really puzzled why Alt + Tab is causing this 3 second black screen delay.

Anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening, and how I can potentially resolve it? For the record I love the monitor otherwise, but if it's a limitation of the monitor and cannot be resolved with a software or firmware fix, it would be a deal breaker for me as I Alt + Tab out of games very regularly for many reasons, and this will absolutely drive me insane.

Thank you in advance 🙏
what are the specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.