Status
Not open for further replies.

anderson4584

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hello,

I've recently purchased a Gigabyte M32Q: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...te_M32Q-_-24-012-039-_-Product&quicklink=true

As the title says, the monitor is running in its native resolution at 144hz, but 165hz isn't even an option. I used the HDMI cable that came with the display, and I've tried adjusting the monitor settings, but nothing seems to be working. OC is greyed out. The monitor has AMD Freesync and I have a GTX 1660 6GB Super OC. I am thinking maybe the monitor needs AMD freesync to work up to 165hz? I am just checking here in case that isn't the case, because I've had other AMD freesync monitors in the past and I didn't need that to get the monitors max refresh rate. Another thing I thought was maybe 144hz is the highest refresh rate that my graphics card can handle at 2560x1440 resolution. However, I tried bumping the resolution down to 1920x1080, and no change. Only 144hz. I know for a fact my graphics card can handle 1920x1080 of course because that's what my old setup was and it was working just fine (which was days ago). One other thing I've also tried, is the cable from my old monitor, just in case it was the limitations of the cable they sent with the monitor. However, same issue.

This is my first gigabyte monitor, so I am thinking there's just something I'm overlooking that needs to be enabled, or disabled, etc. in the settings to make this run at 165hz. I've tried googling and there isn't much on this monitor I could find in general. Tried the manual, and even downloaded the manual from their website and nothing. So I am hoping someone on here is familiar enough with Gigabyte displays, where they may happen to know what to do, if it happens to be a thing with Gigabyte monitor settings. Any ideas?

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600KF
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660
SSD: T-force 1TB 1TB
USB: SanDisk' Cruzer Fit 64GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C15 2x8GB
MBD: Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4
Monitor: Gigabyte M32Q 32" (2560x1440)

Solution
I checked the manual and does say there 144Hz max for Hdmi and DP 165Hz.

DP is included in package contents.

Not only use DP to get 165Hz, but you can probably use Gsync as well as most Freesync monitors are Gsync capable via DP.
1440p 165 Hz is outside the maximum capabilities of HDMI. As stated in the manual on page 44, you need to use DisplayPort.

Reducing resolution will not increase the available refresh rates if GPU scaling is enabled, because the image will be scaled up to the monitor's native resolution before transmission. No matter what resolution you select, it will be transmitted as a 1440p image and the refresh rate limits of 1440p still apply.

Reactions: anderson4584

anderson4584

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I checked the manual and does say there 144Hz max for Hdmi and DP 165Hz.

DP is included in package contents.

Not only use DP to get 165Hz, but you can probably use Gsync as well as most Freesync monitors are Gsync capable via DP.

I do still have to check if I can use gysnc when I get home. I had a couple minutes before I left to hook up the DP cable, which was successful, but I didn't check that. After work I will. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.