Question Gigabyte motherboard does not recogize USB hubs

WhenSensesFail

Prominent
Dec 6, 2022
I have a Gigabyte H310M A 2.0 motherboard. I have a USB hub that I use for led strips and usb powered decorations, so I never noticed any issue. However, I recently bought a new hub to take advantage of its sd card slot, and it was then that I realized that, even though all the usb outlets do output power, they do not transmit any data. At first I thought it was software related (drivers or it simply doesnt work in linux) but anything plugged there is not recognized in BIOS. I tried different usb ports and the USB mini port and nothing. In another computer it does work. Specific details follows:

BIOS version: F3

Legacy USB Support: Enabled (Disabled it, nothing changed)
XHCI Hand-off: Enabled Enabled (Also disabled it, still nothing changed)
USB Mass Storage Driver Support: Enabled (Same as above)
Port 60/64 Emulation: Enabled (Also same as above)

VT-d: Enabled
PCH LAN Controller: Enabled
IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled

Platform Power Management: Disabled
AC BACK: Always Off
ErP: Enabled
Power Loading: Enabled
CEC 2019 Ready: Disabled

WhenSensesFail

Prominent
Dec 6, 2022
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H310M-A-20-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
You have BIOS updates pending, flash tot he latest version and see if that helps.

Can you pass on links to the hubs you're working with?

In another computer it does work.
Since you mentioned this, you should mention the make and model of the other platform's motherboard.

I will flash it, thanks for the heads up, that could be the problem.
This hub is the latest I bought, the usb c one. The one I use of led strips is generic, i think they are all chinese made and rebranded. Regarding the other computer, it was a Lenovo ThinkCentre m73

WhenSensesFail

Prominent
Dec 6, 2022

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Check Device Manager in Windows to see if there are any outstanding chipset drivers (e.g. yellow warning triangle in Universal Serial Bus controllers drop-down).

Try another USB-C device, such as a thumb drive. See if that works. If it doesn't, then it's a mobo issue; if it does, it's a hub issue.

WhenSensesFail

Prominent
Dec 6, 2022
Check Device Manager in Windows to see if there are any outstanding chipset drivers (e.g. yellow warning triangle in Universal Serial Bus controllers drop-down).

Try another USB-C device, such as a thumb drive. See if that works. If it doesn't, then it's a mobo issue; if it does, it's a hub issue.
Thanks for your suggestions. As it is stated, I use Linux, but the hubs do not appear when I list USB devices (USB drivers are installed) neither in terminal nor on GUI. One of the hubs is USB A, the other one is USB c, both ports (on the mobo) work and both hubs used to work with my previous computer. I tried the USB c with an adapter to USB A (the one I used and can confirm it works) and still not recognized