[SOLVED] Gigabyte motherboard Shorting Main BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandm

Commendable
May 26, 2018
Hi there, my Gigabyte MB won't boot and its likely the main BIOS is corrupt so I am trying to get the backup BIOS to kick in by these methods.

Method 1
  1. Shut off your computer
  2. Hold the power button until your computer starts and shuts down again
  3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the backup BIOS if there's anything wrong with the new one.
Method 2
  1. Shut off your computer
  2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
  3. It should boot into the backup BIOS now.
Method 3
Only use this if nothing else works.
  1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip by attaching a jumper to both the pins (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
  2. Tell a friend to press the power on button while you do this because right now you are holding the jumper on the pins
  3. Remove the jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
  4. Backup BIOS should boot now.

But after trying methods 1 & 2 still nothing. So i am trying method 3 but i am not hearing a beep (internal speaker is plugged in and working) - how long do i need to hold a paper clip against the pins for?

Thanks

Solution
Oh, perhaps I have misunderstood the motherboard then as it show then below - I assumed the B_BIOS is the back up I could restore from
4rRTrY0.jpg

Nope there's a single BIOS chip there you can see that clearly (it's that small black flash chip under M_BIOS). The B_BIOS is printed out for another version of the board, but the backup BIOS is missing on yours.

Here's a picture of your board:

OfXJxIE.jpg

And here's the GA-H81M-DS2 which actually has a dual BIOS setup:

UJBT9qx.jpg

You can clearly see the second BIOS chip on the second picture.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Some boards don't have dual BIOS on them but some boards have a Crash Free BIOS recovery option.

kandm

Commendable
May 26, 2018
Sorry, here we go

Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Motherbaord
Intel i5-4440 CPU with Stock Cooler
2 x4 gb Corsair Vengence RAM
1 x 120gb Samsung SSD (Windows 10)
1 x 120gb Integral SSD (MACOS)
1 x 250gb Seagate HDD (data)
Sumvision X3 600W PSU
Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.1 Case

kandm

Commendable
May 26, 2018
i have, and removed the cmos battery, i think my BIOS is corrupt, so i need to kick off the backup bios to restore it.

When i hold a paperclip on pins 1 & 6 and power up the machine, it powers up, but nothing appears on screen, in fact the monitor stays in sleep mode. If i shut it down, then power up without the paper clip on it returns to its broken state (flashing cursor in the top left on a black background)

Hi there, my Gigabyte MB won't boot and its likely the main BIOS is corrupt so I am trying to get the backup BIOS to kick in by these methods.

This motherboard doesn't look to have a dual BIOS unfortunately.

From the manual:

pNngthd.png

And from the specifications page:

wVbmwDA.png

If the BIOS is corrupted, clearly there's no way of getting the board working unless you'll replace your existing BIOS chip by soldering another working and compatible BIOS chip to it.

Reactions: kandm
Oh, perhaps I have misunderstood the motherboard then as it show then below - I assumed the B_BIOS is the back up I could restore from
4rRTrY0.jpg

Nope there's a single BIOS chip there you can see that clearly (it's that small black flash chip under M_BIOS). The B_BIOS is printed out for another version of the board, but the backup BIOS is missing on yours.

Here's a picture of your board:

OfXJxIE.jpg

And here's the GA-H81M-DS2 which actually has a dual BIOS setup:

UJBT9qx.jpg

You can clearly see the second BIOS chip on the second picture.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.