Question GIGABYTE Motherboard With Rear 1394A Port

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I currently have Gigabyte 55 Plus S3 motherboard from around 2005-2006 that has a rear 1394 port. But it seems my board has crapped out. It uses an AMD Athlon II cpu. What other Gigabyte motherboards, possibly from a later time frame, has a rear 1394 port, 2 PCI-E slots, and can re-use my cpu and memory? I don't want an add in card option or usb header option. It's currently running Vista 64bit. Can anyone suggest something for me?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Because I have the PCI-E card and it needs drivers for the cameras so you can use them. I remember I didnt need that when using a port right on the motherboard. Getting drivers for almost 20 year old cameras isnt going to happen now.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
As long as the OS supports the card, you should be fine. In theory, even a different motherboard could use a different 1394 onboard device than what you have now.

I do see listings for the same motherboard model as yours on eBay. Have you looked at any of those?

I currently have Gigabyte 55 Plus S3 motherboard from around 2005-2006 that has a rear 1394 port. But it seems my board has crapped out. It uses an AMD Athlon II cpu. What other Gigabyte motherboards, possibly from a later time frame, has a rear 1394 port, 2 PCI-E slots, and can re-use my cpu and memory? I don't want an add in card option or usb header option. It's currently running Vista 64bit. Can anyone suggest something for me?
Most MBs from that era had Fire wire ports. Those MBs are way long time out of production so you'll just have to hunt down what's available and check the specs. No use looking for particular one. If you can't find a used MB. NOS would be probably expensive so you might be better off getting whole newer PC, that port was common until lately, less than 10 years ago. Last one I had was in Ga 990fx Ud3 with AMD FX 6500 CPU. 6 years ago i couldn't sell it for more than 50 bucks for whole system.