Gigabyte Netbook Features Swivel Touch Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

barturtle

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
A few years ago, someone else had a laptop that stood on its side in a dock. It synced to your desktop just like a PDA...if this netbook does that, it'll be sweet...esp if it eventually gains the touch and swivel screen.

G

Not really worth my time.
It's already proven for over 1,5 years that the 600 pix vertical is just too small to comfortably do everything a normal person does on their pc's.

Also the intel 945.. Forget it!
Go for an Ion platform now!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
They are going in the right direction. This is still 1st/2nd generation stuff. By the 4th, I think we will have our cake, and be able to eat it too...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Touch capability is the key here. I have one of those laptop tablets. It is nice, but too heavy, too bulky, and too short of battery life.

I would prefer a less powerful processor, a smaller form factor, a lower price, and longer battery life at the cost of performance. As long as the price is right. You are correct: If the price approaches that of standard laptops, the whole thing falls apart.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I agree with Falch and Jacob. The whole point of a netbook is to get something dirt cheap that you can still type reasonably fast on and surf reasonably well with.

If your price hits in on the lower end of laptops it partly defeats the purpose. Then again to me the name netbook is partly a gimmick to begin with. /shrug

Companies are still defining where all the niches are with these low power laptops so I would suspect we'll see a lot of line blurring over the next few years as both the market and hardware continue to evolve.

talzara

Dec 22, 2008
Finally. After ten years, touchscreens are back on netbooks. Back when netbooks ran Windows CE, plenty had touchscreens. Heck, the original Psion Netbook (TM) had a touchscreen.

Between this and the touchscreen EEE netbook (haven't heard anything about it since CES), I'm optimistic that touch is finally here to stay. Hope to hear a couple more manufacturers come into the mix before Windows 7 RTM's.

Tablet PCs were great, but they cost too much and often weighed too much. (4.5 pounds for something you're supposed to hold like a book!?) Besides, for anything other than drawing or taking notes in longhand, the active stylus tends to be more of an annoyance than a tool. For marking up documents, general web surfing, etc. -- a touchscreen slate is perfectly fine, and easily beats the clamshell form factor.

talzara

Dec 22, 2008
T1028 web page says "Available Now," not "Coming Soon." Some other hardware sites report that importers will have it by end of April. Surprised they aren't waiting for Windows 7 (it comes with XP Home).

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Idk about you guys but a cheap tablet would be great for college students... I currently find my Fujitsu T4010 tablet invaluable right now because I use it for every single one of my classes. . . fortunately I got mine on ebay for $220 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.