Question Gigabyte NVME just around 1/4 of speed

May 3, 2021
Hello to you all!

I have a problem with my windows 10 - my NVME SSD Gigaybte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 512GB on M/B Asus PRIME B460M-A is no longer working at right speed. I know that before I got speeds around 2GB/s with crystaldiskMark and now I get 1/4 of that speed, around 450-500MB/s. If I disable write caching on driver, than read speed gets to around 1.3GB/s and write goes lower to around 350MB/s.

I have nvme in right m.2 slot which supports PciEx4 specification. I don't quite know what changed in system, maybe some windows update messed things up... ?

Tried everything I could think off - reinstalled chipset drivers, used sysprep to run new discovery of system drivers, scf /scannow, etc ... with no results at all.

Disk is tested with ubuntu live CD with "Disks" and benchmarking. It gets to 2GB/s read speeds with no problem - so I guess disk or MB are not faulty. Problem is with windows.

And please don't suggest reinstalling windows - this is not acceptable solution.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Processor used on the board? Firmware updates pending on the drive? Version for Windows 10? You should ideally be on version 20H2. When you say the right slot, out of the two, which one are you working with?

I guess disk or MB are not faulty. Problem is with windows. And please don't suggest reinstalling windows - this is not acceptable solution.
being someone who has been around for more than a decade, things like that ^ only dissuade the community from responding. Yes a corruption with your OS can cause a drop in storage performance. The only way out of an OS corruption is to reinstall the OS, after you've made sure the installer isn't corrupt.

May 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Processor used on the board? Firmware updates pending on the drive? Version for Windows 10? You should ideally be on version 20H2. When you say the right slot, out of the two, which one are you working with?

I guess disk or MB are not faulty. Problem is with windows. And please don't suggest reinstalling windows - this is not acceptable solution.
being someone who has been around for more than a decade, things like that ^ only dissuade the community from responding. Yes a corruption with your OS can cause a drop in storage performance. The only way out of an OS corruption is to reinstall the OS, after you've made sure the installer isn't corrupt.

BIOS is latest version 1603.
Processor is: Core i7 10700
There is no fw updates on official site, I did not found them
Windows are 20H2 version
There are two slots, one is combined SATA/PCI-E and second one is just PCI-E -> I'm using second one

Yes I know about OS corruption and I did reinstalls many times for my customers - but I don't want to just reinstall (on top of it I have lot of apps and settings suited to my needs) and system was installed like 3 months ago. I'm in computers aprx. 20 years or more so I have some knowledge, but this time I asked for help, because I don't know what to check further ...

May 3, 2021
Follow up: disk seems to be damaged somehow ... Bought a new Samsung 980 nvme and on my sistem test shows normal high speeds. Put both together in slots, booted from new one and tested Gigabyte one - same slow results. I sent it in warranty to seller, I will see what they will figure out.