Gigabyte Offers New Windows 7 Atom-Based Slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Lemme guess, Windows 7 Home Basic..... ?and not Ultimate[/citation]
Why on earth would you put Windows 7 Ultimate on a tablet?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Instead of Atom, couldn't they have used the AMD APU instead? more bang for your buck compared to any atom solution with comparable power usage with it's GPU and all..

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]It includes a VGA output but not an HDMI connector? Wasn't there an article recently about VGA being phased out in a few years?!?[/citation]
yeah why VGA? I do like the USB ports, especially with the ability to plug in and use an actual keyboard if need be..Other than that it seems like it'd be a cool slate.

[citation][nom]jimsocks[/nom]put hdmi port, add more usb ports, upgrade to higher res screen. these people need to hire me[/citation]
higher resolution may not always be the solution for slates..tapping things with your finger could become more difficult in that case

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Atom CPU's also have a GPU (but they really suck just like the built in AMD ones)

Most of these tablets will suck, all of them seem to but in the laptop price range. Why would you spend a laptop price for a device that has lower specs in all aspects?

I personally would not go over $200 for a atom based tablet pc.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]What's the difference???[/citation]
guessing Tablets are thin like ultra portables and Slates are thicker with more powerful HW and more ports and stuff?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]What's the difference???[/citation]

There used to be more of a distinction between x86-based "Tablet PCs," which were specifically designed to be PCs that had touch-screen inputs, but nevertheless ran full (or modified) desktop operating systems (like Windows 7 in this case), and "tablets" that were non-x86-based mobile systems, like the iPad, which specifically use a non-desktop operating system (iOS, Android, etc.). I'm not sure the distinction really has all that much significance anymore, but I imagine that in this case, "slate" is being used to refer to the category of mobile touchscreen computers that use a desktop operating system, as opposed to the category of designated "tablets," which are pretty much glorified, giant smartphones which use non-x86 operating systems.

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom] higher resolution may not always be the solution for slates..tapping things with your finger could become more difficult in that case[/citation]

You can change the size of text and icons, so tapping things should never be a problem. I'm all for higher res.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Ok, here are a few things to consider:

If you buy a tablet with Windows 7, PLEASE buy one with an SSD. The added overhead of 'Touch', along with all the other rubbish people install literally cripples the machine. If an SSD drive can rescue an Archos 9 from being the slowest Tablet out there, you get the message.

1024 x 600 is not enough. Neither is 1280x600 or anything x600. The 'best' tablet resolution would be anything above 1024x768, x768 being the important factor. Why? If you increase the display DPI to 125%, which dramatically improves the size of windows and options, on a x600 device a whole load of information hangs off of the screen. Great. Thanks for that.

When you have a x768 device, all boxes are larger than normal, fit on the screen and when you change desktop icons to large, you have a VERY easy to use tablet. 1024 x 768 should be a minimum. Heck, even Dell with it's Duo has set DPI to be 125% so I'm sure the others will eventually catch on.

An Atom N550 will be fast enough to run windows 7 just fine, as LONG as the thing has an SSD drive and a few tweaks here and there, but, no-one should really expect people to 'tweak' devices to make them better (Then again, people learn how to jailbreak easy enough so why not learn how to tweak Win7)

Windows 7 Embedded standard: Look it up! (Not to be confused with WIndows 7 CE)

P.s. I've owned a whole load of tablets over the years and currently own an Asus R2h, HP 2740p, a random China oem tablet and selling a viewsonic Viewpad 10 :)

[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]It includes a VGA output but not an HDMI connector? Wasn't there an article recently about VGA being phased out in a few years?!?[/citation]
Unfortunately this is a restriction of Intel's Atom platform and not an oversite.
Until Intel updates the NM10 PCH or manufacturers start using AMD's Fusion platform we are stuck with VGA external display output or none at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.