Gigabyte Overclocking Finals: Specs and Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
How well would you do under these conditions?

Depends on the time limit. Might destroy some hardware due to lack of experience with LN2, but I'd definitely give it my all.

All in all sounds like an awesome contest.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Surprised they are not using the UD9...and these are some of the benchmarks Toms Hardware needs to run when doing reviews (also good idea to check out the full battery of benches at HWBOT.org)

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
12. Hair dryers will be not be provided, so ask nicely and borrow your girlfriend’s for the event.

Considering this is about as geeky a hardware-related competition can get, I found that sentence pretty funny.

I'd probably do really bad under these conditions, I've only ever really had two systems that were even mildly overclockable (current PH II x3 and an old PIII 550mhz). I'd probably have a lot of fun ruining what looks to be a solid $2000+ worth of hardware though lol

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This would be fun..They provide the hardware and LN2! Sweet! And u get 1 chance to push it too far! MAX OC here I come! I love voltage tweaking.

All well and good, but yielding meaningless results. I'd like to see an overclocking competition featuring the stock cooler (ok, maybe a $40 air cooler). It's how you tweak each and every minuscule setting that makes the difference, and how well you do translates to the real world, and the results others might expect.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]All well and good, but yielding meaningless results. I'd like to see an overclocking competition featuring the stock cooler (ok, maybe a $40 air cooler). It's how you tweak each and every minuscule setting that makes the difference, and how well you do translates to the real world, and the results others might expect.[/citation]

Agree. These competitions are just PR for the companies sponsoring them and thus a waste of time. Anyone remember AMD being able to go up to 6 ghz on liquid helium? But oh wait, with NORMAL cooling that people can actually use 24/7, Intel's offerings overclocked 2x better.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
5. Contestants should bring their own LN2 pots for CPU/GPU/Chipset. (LN2 will be prepared by Gigabyte). Also, any kind of cooling apparatus is allowed.
6. No graphics card modification is allowed, including removing the standard cooling fan.

*facepalm

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]All well and good, but yielding meaningless results. I'd like to see an overclocking competition featuring the stock cooler (ok, maybe a $40 air cooler). It's how you tweak each and every minuscule setting that makes the difference, and how well you do translates to the real world, and the results others might expect.[/citation]

They are doing a lot of the same tweaks that they would be with regular air cooling. The point of this is going to extremes....not everyday OC's

You would not be modding the electronic components on your motherboard for an everyday air cooled OC

G

This is an extreme competition, so the conditions are regulated, the hardware provided, and the speeds are beyond what anyone could do at home. This competition is almost the Formula 1 of overclocking. Of course its nothing like the real world. If you want to see home setups, there are plenty online, but this is a hand picked arrangement for teams that do this on a regular basis. These are competitions, so they are pushing the limits on all fronts, not just the clock speeds.. LN2 is about as extreme as you are going to get for cooling.. I'm all for it, its just what these guys do for fun!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]XP 64bit does. /not sarcasm.[/citation]
Why would they specify SP3 but not 64bit?
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Really? People in this contest HAVE girlfriends? Well I guess if AMD will tell girls how to attract geeky boyfriends, anything can happen.[/citation]
Everyone knows that the people competing in this contest will have to borrow their moms hair dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS