Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce OC reaching 90C degrees. Any advise?

s4m7

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Room temp is about 20-23. Did a Unigine Heaven benchmark on this badboy then results show temps reaching 90 max. Could my stock system fans be the reason? Im using a n200 cooler master case. WIth only 1 intake and 1 exhaust (all stock)

Solution
The only thing to worry about at 90C is longevity. Depending on how often you game you could be going through cards more often than you like.

Did you use a program like MSI afterburner or Asus GPU tweak to set the GPU fan to 100%?

s4m7

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

The reference cooler gets 90C not the non-ref cooler which I have. I don't think this is normal. Ive read the average GBT r9 290 WF reaches up to only 75~77C.

Not following you?

Are you saying you changed the 3 fan heat pipe cooler that came on the card?

s4m7

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Didn't changed anything. Stock fans on the case and stock fans on the GPU.

s4m7

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

OK. So it's really built for high temps? So am I in good hands right now? Should I worry about anything?

The only thing to worry about at 90C is longevity. Depending on how often you game you could be going through cards more often than you like.

Did you use a program like MSI afterburner or Asus GPU tweak to set the GPU fan to 100%?

Solution

Alex Kelly

Honorable

It's a little higher than I'm comfortable with seeing, but it is indeed normal. I had an MSI Twin Frozr 290 and sold it because it went near 90C. Add one or two more fans to your build and it'll be fine :)
If it dies eventually, you have no need to worry as it would be covered under warranty.

TRENDING THREADS