Gigabyte Recalling Three Motherboards Over Smoking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I have an older model AM2+ Gigabyte mobo with no issues. Thank goodness!

Anyone remember the old "Bad Caps" problems several years back, 2004ish? Apple and Dell products were effected (defected) by the problem.

Leads me to wonder if other brands' products are about to pop.

G

Sorry Tom's Hardware, but your article is not exactly correct. The overclocking feature is NOT "the MAIN selling feature for all three affected boards". It is a feature but not the main. When you consider the current range of X79 boards they offer, you can say that:
1) GA-X79-UD3: is a standard entry level board
2) GA-X79-UD5: is a deluxe board, offering addtional features such as Bluetooth and WiFi Card
3) G1.Assassin 2: is a gamers' board offering Bigfoot Networks Killer and onboard X-Fi with EAX 5.0 technologies.

Ironically, their overclockers' board (GA-X79-UD7) is not on the recall list (as at time of writing). Ironic in the sense that this board's main selling point is the overclocking feature. Your article is somewhat misleading. Please correct it thanks.

dead_rabbit

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
So, some1also, if you're well verse of Gigabyte's X79 product line then what is the MAIN selling feature of these cards? If this article, by Tom's Hardware, is somewhat misleading and since you criticize this article in the first place what do you think is correct, huh?

[citation][nom]some1also[/nom]Sorry Tom's Hardware, but your article is not exactly correct. The overclocking feature is NOT "the MAIN selling feature for all three affected boards". It is a feature but not the main.[/citation]

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]some1also[/nom]Sorry Tom's Hardware, but your article is not exactly correct. The overclocking feature is NOT "the MAIN selling feature for all three affected boards". It is a feature but not the main. [/citation]

He/She is obviously a representative from Gigabyte.

Sorry some1also, people buy X79 boards because they overclock. There is otherwise no point to the extreme series CPU. You know that very well, so please don't make such a bureaucratic statements.

G

So, that's it? reminded me the very old AMD processor on a Gigabyte mobo that fired but it was for incorrect installing of heat-sink and very very hot AMD CPUs those days . Its a big disappointing for these days I geuss.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
ok, so the latest bios disables overclocking..
they recommend everybody gets the newest bios version.

alternatively you can send your board back, and wait to get a new one which will be "corrected"
by corrected? do they mean with working chips, or with OC disabled?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
If you're going to bother watching the video go straight to the last 20 seconds or so for some smoke; I don't see why you'd post nearly 3 1/2 minutes of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.