Gigabyte Recalling Three Motherboards Over Smoking Issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Say what you want - Gigabyte was on top of this immediately and is taking care of the issue.

I've never had any issues on my Gigabyte boards and I will keep buying their products because they are top-notch and very reliable from all my experiences with them.

My past experience MSI dud-boards and inconsistent ASUS board RAM incompatibilities are enough to drive anyone crazy.

Gigabyte is fine with me. One defect after all this time is ok with me.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
in all fairness i think there is a few tiers when it comes to quality motherboards.
asus, biostar, evga, and gigabyte. are all top contenders.

msi, elietegroup, foxconn, are second.

jetway, zotac, supermicro and asrock are all third.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Wait, so the board is marketed as being overclockable, but no one at Gigabyte thought to check it out and see what happens when it overclocks? Does no one test these things?

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Say what you want - Gigabyte was on top of this immediately and is taking care of the issue.I've never had any issues on my Gigabyte boards and I will keep buying their products because they are top-notch and very reliable from all my experiences with them.My past experience MSI dud-boards and inconsistent ASUS board RAM incompatibilities are enough to drive anyone crazy.Gigabyte is fine with me. One defect after all this time is ok with me.[/citation]

I love Gigabyte too, but using bad quality components in your top of the line products isn't exactly what we could call fair business practice.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]What do you expect from China made?[/citation]

I'll never understand this kind of remark.
You do realize the Chinese are making the 'crap' that WE ask them to build?
I have a Ford Explorer I'd offer you as an example of American made crap if you like; complete with an anti-lock brake module that, when failing, will completely disable your brakes!!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]I love Gigabyte too, but using bad quality components in your top of the line products isn't exactly what we could call fair business practice.[/citation]

I don't think they did this on purpose.
I worked in a quality control lab of a rather large company and I can assure you our bosses
where on our behinds if we shipped something 'bad' because the lab overlooked the problem in time.
I was guilty on one or two occasions and it was not an experience I like to remember :)

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
well in china and japan alot of components are being counter-fitted, transistors in particular, the often re labeled. and sold as a superior component. it could simply be that a batch of re-badged components made it into the factory and got put on the boards without testing between batches. im sure the first few boards to come out of the factory's probably worked fine.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Do you mean by that they are unaware that some components (which are probably bought from a third party) quality is bad until the product is shipped and tested by the consumers?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Say what you want - Gigabyte was on top of this immediately and is taking care of the issue.I've never had any issues on my Gigabyte boards and I will keep buying their products because they are top-notch and very reliable from all my experiences with them.My past experience MSI dud-boards and inconsistent ASUS board RAM incompatibilities are enough to drive anyone crazy.Gigabyte is fine with me. One defect after all this time is ok with me.[/citation]
this should have never happened...this is a failure with their Quality Control and R&D

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]some1also[/nom]Sorry Tom's Hardware, but your article is not exactly correct. The overclocking feature is NOT "the MAIN selling feature for all three affected boards". It is a feature but not the main. [/citation]
Here's a heads up for you. It is the mail SELLING feature. It's tho dominant reason why people buy those boards and not some other X79.

G

I can imagine the conversation as one of these started smoking:

Overclocker A: Dude this thing kicks even more a** with just a moderate overclock. We should try taking it up another notch.

Overclocker B: Oh crap, this things smoking.

Overclocker A: yeah, it is. 20% increase in FPS over stock.

Overclocker B: No! I mean this things on fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.