Question Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super crashing under load ?

Jason0709

Commendable
Mar 14, 2021
hi everyone,

I own a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 8G and since last year it has been crashing everytime i open a game or any 3D application. My screen would go black and gpu fans go at full speed. I can’t shutdown my pc because that so the only way to turn it off and on again is by pressing the power button. I tried the gpu in different rigs i have but no luck, i also cleaned the gpu and replaced the thermal pads and thermal paste but that didn’t help either. The only solution i found is to undervolt the gpu to 0.900v (900mv) at 1820 mhz. The normal voltage for this card is 1.050v. This gpu never had overheating problems so im not sure what the problem is. Anyone that can help me/give me more information of why this is happening?

Any help would be appreciated,

Kind Regards,
Jason

Lutfij

Titan
If the GPU's behaving the same issue across all donor system's and your own, then (assuming you've ruled out that all the system's have the necessary power for the entire system with your discrete GPU populating the donor system's and your own) then the GPU is on it's way out if you're resorting to undervolting.

Just curious, what is the make and model of your PSU and their age? Donor system's PSU's and their ages? Card was purchased brand new? Not used?

Jason0709

Commendable
Mar 14, 2021
I’m the first owner of this GPU and i’m guessing that there’s no possibility to fix this?
The PSU’s i use are Corsair CS750M and the Corsair RM750x

Jason0709

Commendable
Mar 14, 2021
Gpu VRM likely on it's way out. I couldn't say whether it's fixable or not.
Prepare for a new gpu.
I’ve heard that dead/defective VRMS are a common problem with RTX 2070/2080 cards but i’m not sure how i will find the dead ones. I have a hot air station so to desolder them wouldn’t be a problem

Polico

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Hi, well, for those looking for the same problem. I tried 2 things:
- Installing a new disk to make a fresh windows installation and drivers installation from scracth. The problem persisted.
- In the same Pc as always changing the GPU for another one and the problem is gone. So it's clearly the GPU with some connection problem. I will try to check the connections and resolder them.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
I would suggest that you 'bake' your GPU in an oven.
I've done this a few times with circuit boards, and it's about a 50/50 chance that it'll work.
If the card is dead, what do you have to lose?
What I'd recommend is to crumple up some balls of tin foil, four balls should to (one for each corner of the card).
STRIP the card of all heatsinks, thermal paste, pads, and the PCIe bracket (if possible). I would also recommend a thorough cleaning of the card in an alchohol & distilled water mix (300ml 99% Isopropyl, 700ml distilled water for example). Place the card in a plastic container that'll fit the card, and the soak it in the solution for a few minutes, swishing it around to loosen up any debris there may be underneath the IC chips on the board.
You can use a soft paintbrush to softly 'scrub' around the IC chips after giving it a good swishing.
Dry with a fan for ~30-60 minutes before baking.
Baking:
Temp: 375F, 8 minutes max.
Recommend opening oven door to vent as it'll allow the solder to solidify at a good rate, letting it sit in the over for another 5 minutes with the door opened. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before re-assembling.

TRENDING THREADS