News Gigabyte RTX 30, RTX 40 Series GPU PCBs Are Reportedly Cracking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wingfinger

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Prebuilts are shipped with installed CPU coolers and GPUs ?!

I might transport my computer a short distance in my own car, lying on its side... Otherwise, take the smaller risk of removing the cooler and the graphics card.

Maybe waterblock units would be better ?

Reactions: bit_user

wingfinger

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I suppose the power connectors have limited cycles, so you will have to factor that into the risk. Leave the cable connected to the GPU but not the supply? or not.

InvalidError

Titan
Those are all arguments you could make in court, if it gets that far.

I'm just saying that standard warranty policies absolve the manufacturer, in the event that physical damage is evident. That's what's so pernicious about this issue.
For places that have decent anti-lemon or similar consumer protection laws, if a product has a known defect that will cause almost systematic failure long before the typical useful life and reasonably expected lifespan of something, you can go to small claims and get a free repair, replacement or refund.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I suppose the power connectors have limited cycles, so you will have to factor that into the risk. Leave the cable connected to the GPU but not the supply? or not.

You would have to be removing the card and power plug from it's socket a ridiculous amount of times before the PCIe and power sockets break from wear unless it's build was of poor quality or poor design nothing more or nothing less.

Some cards the extra pulling down from the power cable doesn't help with card sag and just exacerbates the problem.

Good quality branded powerful PSU's the cables can be quite stiff and weighty if not routed very well or case design has poor routing for cables.

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Once upon a time, cases used to have slots that would engage the other end of full-length cards. I've also seen over-the-top braces that would hold the edge opposite the motherboard, offering support for cards too short to reach the end slots. I wonder if either of those solutions will return.

I think GPU backplates have made the industry too complacent about GPU weight issues.

Bending is different than a mechanical shock to a PCB under tension. If the motherboard isn't perfectly positioned, relative to the back of the case, there can be a lot of tension created by screwing the card into it. This tension makes the PCB more susceptible to mechanical shocks applied in the perpendicular direction, such as when the shipping box containing a prebuilt machine is dropped onto the floor.
Reference design AMD and Nvidia cards still provide mounting holes for support brackets on the ends. It'll be up to case manufacturers to provide a solution because GPU manufacturers have clearly gone all-in on giant cards. Bigger e-peen and more room for ARGBWTF blinkin lights! Those silly "support sticks" some GPUs include aren't a solution.

Reactions: KyaraM and bit_user
Jun 3, 2023
Well there's goes my next choice for GPU manufacturer. With EVGA out and Gigabyte out, and MSI never a consideration, doesn't leave many choices left...
Gigabyte was never a choice in the first place. The quality of their products is utter bottom-barrel trash. I would rather spend 50 bucks more for an actual manufacturer than whatever gus fring money laundering operation Gigabyte is

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
For places that have decent anti-lemon or similar consumer protection laws, if a product has a known defect that will cause almost systematic failure long before the typical useful life and reasonably expected lifespan of something, you can go to small claims and get a free repair, replacement or refund.
"Small claims" is technically a court, which is what I said.

In the event that these are in prebuilt systems, I expect many/most of these cases to get picked up by the PC OEM. At that point, it's between them and Gigabyte.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Gigabyte was never a choice in the first place. The quality of their products is utter bottom-barrel trash. I would rather spend 50 bucks more for an actual manufacturer than whatever gus fring money laundering operation Gigabyte is

Haha! What’s your system specs? Show us that bronze rated PSU that you purchased to save $25 on your build!

D

Deleted member 2947362

Haha! What’s your system specs? Show us that bronze rated PSU that you purchased to save $25 on your build!
Your falling for bait.

I wouldn't even bother answering to that type of answer.

You know that your experience with Giga Byte products and PCB cracking has been problem free so far along with many others including myself.

It could be that the resin is to brittle and is exacerbated by the the buffering of the copper traces, leaving weaker points/parts of the PCB that are being stressed and causing it to crack, that makes sense to me at least.

because this is not normal or common at the moment at least if it's a limited amount of cards chances are at some point the cards where over stressed at that load point where they cracked.

But if loads of cards start doing it that could very well indicate design flaw and major issue.

However if people have had a bad experience with a brand chances are people are not going to be favourable to them.

I have used ASUS, MSI, GIGA BYTE, DFI, BIO STAR, AOPEN and more, I have had good and bad experiences with them all depending on model etc but never Cracked PCB

I'm am not brand loyal I just buy what is in my price range and has the minimal amount of features I expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Your falling for bait.

I wouldn't even bother answering to that type of answer.

You know that your experience with Giga Byte products and PCB cracking has been problem free so far along with many others including myself.
Oh I know... I just love calling it out when I see it... :ROFLMAO:

I have used ASUS, MSI, GIGA BYTE, DFI, BIO STAR, AOPEN and more, I have had good and bad experiences with them all depending on model etc but never Cracked PCB

I'm am not brand loyal I just buy what is in my price range and has the minimal amount of features I expect.

Same here. I went with Gigabyte for the 4 year warranty.

D

Deleted member 2838871

okay....did you even read my comment?

Why would you ask that? I quoted the comment and you have no other comments in the thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You made a whiny comment about Gigabyte being trash so I'm guessing you had a bad experience. Still... I'd love to see your specs so we can pick out all the trash components.

Actually don't... I could care less. :)

whatever gus fring money laundering operation Gigabyte is

What does that even mean? You mad bro?

D

Deleted member 14196

I used to buy sapphire cards for AMD systems all the time and they were all good never one problem