Question Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC crashes to black screen and max fan RPM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2021
Hey Guys,

Just today i bought an RTX 3080 ti, the Gigabyte Gaming OC edition.

Connected it all good, used 2x 6+2 PIN power connectors from PSU, used DDU prior to installing.

When i was playing Halo 2 MCC, both my monitors went black screen and the fans of my card just ramped up to full speed. I had to force shutdown the PC, it rebooted fine, but high RPM fan at login then settles down.

I had a RTX 3070 previously with no issues, wanted to upgrade cause i got a new 3440x1440 monitor, i benchmarked with Fur and no crashes, benchmarked Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, GTA V and it worked all well, just Halo 2 these 2 times.

Running another benchmark, but hoping you guys could shed some light or give advise,

Thanks.

Specs:

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi

i9 10900k

RTX 3080 Ti

HX1000 PSU

16GB Dominator Ram at 3600Mhz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Just today i bought an RTX 3080 ti, the Gigabyte Gaming OC edition.

Connected it all good, used 2x 6+2 PIN power connectors from PSU, used DDU prior to installing.

When i was playing Halo 2 MCC, both my monitors went black screen and the fans of my card just ramped up to full speed. I had to force shutdown the PC, it rebooted fine, but high RPM fan at login then settles down.

I had a RTX 3070 previously with no issues, wanted to upgrade cause i got a new 3440x1440 monitor, i benchmarked with Fur and no crashes, benchmarked Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, GTA V and it worked all well, just Halo 2 these 2 times.

Running another benchmark, but hoping you guys could shed some light or give advise,

Thanks.

Specs:

i9 10900k

HX1000 PSU

16GB Dominator Ram at 3600Mhz

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi MOBO
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU again (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 20 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Intel Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

frederickalliston

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 12, 2020
To fix this problem you are suggested to try the following solutions:-

1. Firstly, install the latest version of the Operating system on your computer device. Most of the issues are resolved just by upgrading the operating system.
  2. Also check whether the graphics card driver is correct or not, a faulty driver might be the main cause of this problem. Update the driver manually or with the help of software.
  3. Try using a restoration tool to repair all the internal damages to the PC. This is an effective way of fixing this issue. If any hardware damage is caused to the device get it also repaired as soon as possible.

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
I had the same issue with my Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterforce WB. Only way I could fix this was by voltage locking my card. I tried literally everything possible, and voltage locking was the only fix. The issue is a problem with Gigabyte's boost tables on their cards. Some cards with a lower quality chip (like we obviously got) can't handle some points on the voltage curve, therefore making it crash. If the core clock speed goes too high for the voltage to handle at some point, it will crash if you have a bad chip. Please don't listen to any of these basic suggestions that people are saying like "reinstall drivers" and all that stuff. Don't waste your time, it won't fix it. This issue messed with me for months, it would happen at least 3-4 times a week. After voltage locking, i haven't crashed in almost 2 months.

Oct 14, 2021
I had the same issue with my Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterforce WB. Only way I could fix this was by voltage locking my card. I tried literally everything possible, and voltage locking was the only fix. The issue is a problem with Gigabyte's boost tables on their cards. Some cards with a lower quality chip (like we obviously got) can't handle some points on the voltage curve, therefore making it crash. If the core clock speed goes too high for the voltage to handle at some point, it will crash if you have a bad chip. Please don't listen to any of these basic suggestions that people are saying like "reinstall drivers" and all that stuff. Don't waste your time, it won't fix it. This issue messed with me for months, it would happen at least 3-4 times a week. After voltage locking, i haven't crashed in almost 2 months.
Could you please explain what you excatly did?
I have now for 3 Month the 3080Ti Version of the card that you have and the same problem and it freaks me out because i did so so much and nothin worked.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021
Could you please explain what you excatly did?
I have now for 3 Month the 3080Ti Version of the card that you have and the same problem and it freaks me out because i did so so much and nothin worked.
Lookup a video on how to undervolt a gpu. Had the exact issue with my 3090 and had 0 crashes since undervolting back in February. If done right you'll lose very little performance and drop your temps and voltage intake

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Old thread, but the reason the event happens is because a protection - such as over voltage or over temp - on the card was tripped, and you need to power cycle the card to wake it up again.
But if it happens again, it might go to sleep permanently.

Oct 14, 2021
Yes an old thread but still up to date because there are still a lot of people who are concerned.
The Temperature can´t it be because it´s watercooled and the GPU, Hotspot and Memory never got over 60° so it must be the voltage.
How can i power cylce the card to get it wake again

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Temperature can´t it be because it´s watercooled and the GPU, Hotspot and Memory never got over 60° so it must be the voltage.
By over temperature/voltage/current, I wasn't referring to gpu core, but the voltage regulator.
My fault for not being specific on that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRp75YdLaq4

Thanks to this video, I learned how over current is set unrealistically high on Nvidia cards to the point that it will never trip, so we end up with some users who run the cards out of spec for who knows how long, and have to rely on their psu to trip OCP before the gpu's VRM inevitably pops.
At least over temp and over voltage still work...

How can i power cylce the card to get it wake again
It's turning the PC completely off - very similar to clearing CMOS for many mobos, except you're not removing the coin battery.
Shut the PC down, switch the psu off and unplug it, and hold down the chassis' power button for 30 seconds.
If it doesn't work, you probably need to RMA it...

Sep 29, 2021
same problems occur with the aorus rtx 3080 xtreme. I've been through three of those cards and the only way to make them stable was to undervolt.

Gigabyte, wut you doing to us?

Dec 10, 2021
Just registered to say this. I had that thing when my screen went black and all fans started to run at 100%. I think its related to displayport connection or running g-sync on not fully supported monitors like my LG 32" 4k with adaptive sync only support.
Gigabyte have new bios for 3080 TI and probably other models, released Nov 27 2021 . It says:
  • 1.Fixed DisplayPort Compatibility Issue
Maybe its worth checking. Installed mine today, its hard to tell if its changing anything since i ran into that issue maybe 3 times in last 2 months.

Jan 24, 2022
So I was wondering if anyone had an update on their issue (Maybe OUTBURSTPAL), as this has happened with my 3080ti. I was so fed up I ordered the RMA which was approved, but I'm stubborn and plugged the card back in, but this time I only have 1 DP monitor hooked up. Card is working fine... which is annoying. I checked the BIOS and I have F2 on, but the "1.Fixed DisplayPort Compatibility Issue " download tells me I have the wrong BIOS version; which makes no sense.

Sigh. This is even more frustrating as my 1080 still works like a damn champ and was absolutely plug and play. All these new cards and other materials seem to have issue after issue.

Did your RMA work OutBurstPal? Are you still waiting, or anyone else have ideas? I'm pretty burnt out on this crap.

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
So I was wondering if anyone had an update on their issue (Maybe OUTBURSTPAL), as this has happened with my 3080ti. I was so fed up I ordered the RMA which was approved, but I'm stubborn and plugged the card back in, but this time I only have 1 DP monitor hooked up. Card is working fine... which is annoying. I checked the BIOS and I have F2 on, but the "1.Fixed DisplayPort Compatibility Issue " download tells me I have the wrong BIOS version; which makes no sense.

Sigh. This is even more frustrating as my 1080 still works like a damn champ and was absolutely plug and play. All these new cards and other materials seem to have issue after issue.

Did your RMA work OutBurstPal? Are you still waiting, or anyone else have ideas? I'm pretty burnt out on this crap.
Yup, the RMA worked for me. Hasn’t happened in about 2 months.

Reactions: ForecastCold
Apr 6, 2022
@OUTBURSTPAL I have the same card as you it seems and my rma said they couldn't find any faults but the issue is still persisting. Any chance you remember what you under voltage settings were? I don't really get how to work it 100% lol

Apr 4, 2022
Had the same problem with my gigabytw 3080 gaming oc. After about 45 mins of playing any game I would crash to desktop. The only way I was able to fix it was by downloading msi afterburner and downlocking the gpu. I noticed it that it would hit 2000mhz and crash, so now it cant reach that number and no crashes after 3+ hours of gaming cyberpunk.

May 4, 2022
I have a similar issue with my Gigabyte Aorus 3070 ti. However, it luckily appears much less frequently than in some of your cases - recently just once a month or so.
Interestingly, I think the problem is not in the card itself. I first put it in my old ASUS P9X79 mb coupled with an equally old i7-4820 and it worked seamlessly for a few months. The issue started appearing when I've upgraded my system to a i7-11700K and a Z590... GIGABYTE motherboard! My PSU stayed the same and the power draw of the system is similar, so my guess is that the problem has a software cause. Something doesn't click between the nvidia drivers and Gigabyte RTX'es. Which is utterly frustrating, when you have a Gigabyte mobo and graphic card :mad:

May 18, 2022
I have an Rtx 3080 ti Vision oc and my problem is even worse, I was playing when suddenly it fired the fans I ran to turn off the pc, but I didn't have the same luck, now my card doesn't give more video, I've tried everything and no sign, I have a GTX 1050 that works normally but the 3080ti only turns on the led and the fans

May 22, 2022
Same as you Thomas, I created an account just to answer I have the same. I bought my 3080ti (gigabyte gaming oc) when it released, and it was OK.
When LOST ARK released in february, it fryed just the same as Thomas just above.
I ask for a RMA which was accepted by the shop, and got one back almost instantly (yay!).
It did the same exactly every few days (fans goes vroom, screen goes black, me goes T-T), but it could boot up again, I decided to log my sensors data every second.
Eventually a few days ago, after 3 months of service, this newly replaced 3080ti did it again and didn't reboot, I asked for another RMA, except I asked for a refund instead of a replacement because I want to switch manufacturers now...

I thought my PSU or my mobo was faulty but reading you all ... maybe it's just faulty products.
Every event was during a LOST ARK session. None of my other games triggered such behaviors...

Status
Not open for further replies.