Review Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6G Review: Priced Right, Performs Well

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Interesting that the fan speeds were higher than that of the Sapphire Pulse, yet the conclusion has "less apparent noise" relative to the Pulse.

And, by the graphs, kept things several degrees cooler.

I think that this Gigabyte model might beat out the Pulse on which one I choose when I do the GPU upgrade for my son's computer.

Reactions: alextheblue

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Interesting that the fan speeds were higher than that of the Sapphire Pulse, yet the conclusion has "less apparent noise" relative to the Pulse.

And, by the graphs, kept things several degrees cooler.

I think that this Gigabyte model might beat out the Pulse on which one I choose when I do the GPU upgrade for my son's computer.

Gigabyte can have wacky fan behaviour married to good fans. I usually just set a fixed rpm and call it a day with them, as their zero rpm mode can be bad. Same as Zotac. If you want good zero rpm modes, you have to buy MSI usually.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
How does this compare to the MSI GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X?

Given that the GTX 1660 Ti is $150 cheaper, for a small percentage performance improvement It's not really worth the buy?
Can you please provide a link to that card for sale new at $150?

(given that the 5600XT MSRP is $300)

D

Deleted member 2783327

You misunderstood. I didn't say the GTX 1660 Ti was $150 new, I said it was $150 less than the RX 5600 XT. I'm in Australia, so prices are AUD.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You misunderstood. I didn't say the GTX 1660 Ti was $150 new, I said it was $150 less than the RX 5600 XT. I'm in Australia, so prices are AUD.
Without stating that the $ being referred to is AUD, not USD, context was lacking - as the default meaning of $ on an international site is almost always USD.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
D

Deleted member 2783327

Wow! I actually didn't quote any prices, only saying that it was $150 LESS. The context was supposed to be that it was 25% less than the AMD card. Anyway, if the lack of an A in front of the $ is misleading, I'll stick with percentages.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Like I said "Wow!"

The question regardless of what the currency is "If the GTX 1660 Ti is cheaper, is the RX 5600 XT worth the purchase if the performance increase is in the low single digits? I haven't seen any comparisons for those two cards, and I don't trust userbenchmark for performance.

Disappointing that a question about whether or not a card is worth purchasing has come down to a chastening for a missing 'A' in the question :!

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Wow! I actually didn't quote any prices, only saying that it was $150 LESS. The context was supposed to be that it was 25% less than the AMD card. Anyway, if the lack of an A in front of the $ is misleading, I'll stick with percentages.
The "25% less" was completely absent from the post quoted - thanks for adding that important detail.

I'd also expect that new hardware attracts a vendor premium due to initial supply / demand levels. The 1660Ti is probably well down that curve by now whereas the 5600XT is a relatively new release and prices will be on the high side for a while.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I got the XFX Thicc II 5600XT and I've been pretty pleased with it so far. It's good to see AMD upping their GPU game after losing to NVIDIA for so long.

Wasn't the cooler (or shroud) on the Thicc II problematic for thermals? Or at least it was for the 5700 or 5700XT? I was given to understand that there was some redesign of it, and possibly an exchange program XFX offered... and also why they went to the Thicc III. Kinda going from memory here, though.

g-unit1111

Titan
Wasn't the cooler (or shroud) on the Thicc II problematic for thermals? Or at least it was for the 5700 or 5700XT? I was given to understand that there was some redesign of it, and possibly an exchange program XFX offered... and also why they went to the Thicc III. Kinda going from memory here, though.

Mine uses the Thicc II. I think they got those issues cleared up with the latest BIOS updates from AMD but I'm not entirely sure about that. I'll have to check into that.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: King_V

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014

For what it's worth I just looked up both cards on Amazon (US), and they're both about $320. If you're seeing such a wild price disparity you must be suffering from the usual "rip off Australians" pricing on at least one of those cards.

Edited to add links:
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B083X25J8C/ (the 5600XT of this review, 299 USD)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N825Y1L/ (the 1660 Ti mentioned above, 318 USD)

Reactions: Nick_C

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
For what it's worth I just looked up both cards on Amazon (US), and they're both about $320. If you're seeing such a wild price disparity you must be suffering from the usual "rip off Australians" pricing on at least one of those cards.

Edited to add links:
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B083X25J8C/ (the 5600XT of this review, 299 USD)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N825Y1L/ (the 1660 Ti mentioned above, 318 USD)
A 5600 XT does not cost 150 AUD more than a 1660 Ti. I can only assume that they're looking at one particular retailer that happens to have weird pricing for those specific models. Actual price difference is 480 vs 530, so 50 AUD or ~10%.

Reactions: Nick_C
Feb 29, 2020
Sleeve or ball bearing fans?

Does this card use sleeve or ball bearing fans? The Gigabyte website waxes poetic about the Windforce cooling system, but doesn't specify the type of fan bearing. I can't get a response from Gigabytes' social media people on Twitter.

The card is mounted oriented with the fans horizontal position in a typical tower build (like mine). Sleeve bearings are known to be problematic when the fan is horizontal (with the shaft vertical).

Several other brands, including the Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT, which is compared to the Gigabyte card in this review, do specify that they use ball bearing fans. I like the Gigabyte card, but I don't want a card that uses sleeve bearing fans.

Last edited: