News Gigabyte RX 6900 XT Gaming OC Plummets to $899 at Newegg

Can't speak for the Gigabyte version but the reference 6900 XT is spectacular. (22k Time Spy graphics score)

Bear in mind that the 6950 XT is due to arrive soon, which is the prompt for these price drops.

Last edited:

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
...unless you use Ray Tracing (I speak from experience).

I realize that RDNA2 was not designed with ray tracing in mind, but if you have any inkling of using this tech at 4k, you really have no choice but a high end Nvidia card.

Not even a bit interested.
It’s on its infancy and very expensive both to include and on the processing side.

If you play the few games that use this sparingly, go ahead with nvidia, but it’s a gimmick really.

Reactions: blppt

I realize that RDNA2 was not designed with ray tracing in mind, but if you have any inkling of using this tech at 4k, you really have no choice but a high end Nvidia card.
Ray Tracing isn't that bad with the 6900 XT. With Metro Exodus Enhanced I have all visual settings maxed except for one RT setting (one of them is just one step down from max) and it's buttery smooth.
It's definitely not as good as NVIDIA's 3000 cards. Same with DLSS. NVIDIA has the lead vs. AMD's FSR too. Hopefully AMD will make a larger stride with RT on their next gen vs. NVIDIA.

I have a 3080 12GB and to be honest, I can't tell much of any difference in most games with ray trace on/off except that the frame rates drop like a rock. If I'm actively looking for it, I can try to find a puddle, window or mirror where you'll see a difference, but not during normal play. It's not that Ray Tracing is bad, but rather normal rasterization methods just got so good over the decades. In some games, Ray tracing is worse because it makes the room so dark and hard to see, when you know it wouldn't be that bad in real life.

Reactions: blppt and Phaaze88

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Ray Tracing isn't that bad with the 6900 XT. With Metro Exodus Enhanced I have all visual settings maxed except for one RT setting (one of them is just one step down from max) and it's buttery smooth.
It's definitely not as good as NVIDIA's 3000 cards. Same with DLSS. NVIDIA has the lead vs. AMD's FSR too. Hopefully AMD will make a larger stride with RT on their next gen vs. NVIDIA.

Try CP2077 and DL2.