[SOLVED] Gigabyte RX570 Not Working

suraweera.shenal

Commendable
Nov 6, 2017
Hey There,

I have a system that has some issues and would appreciate any help.

CPU: i5 2400
RAM: 8gb Corsair Value Select DDR3 1600mhz
MB: Dell MIH61R GDG8Y from a Dell Vostro 260s
GRAPHICS: Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4GB / EVGA GTX 660Ti 2GB
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 450W

The PC started out with the GTX 660Ti and then it got replaced with the RX570. No issues at first. After roughly 18 months the graphics card suddenly stopped working at all. It would be plugged in, fans spin, the side ‘gigabyte’ rgb turns on and flashes orange but it’s just a black screen and the monitor would just show ‘no signal detected’. I first thought the card was dead but to make sure I took it over to a friend’s and it started up fine on the second try. His system was very similar to the one above albeit having an ASUS Z77 Motherboard and a Thermaltake TR2S 550W PSU. To add, the white LED on the RX570 that indicates any power issues was not on/blinking.

Our original intent was to flash the RX 570 using his computer as the system doesn’t allow me to use the intel HD graphics when there is a device in the PCI-E slot. However, we felt that since it worked at his place why shouldn’t it work back at ours. Took it back home and it didn’t work. However, the 660 Ti works just fine in the PC. Just have no clue where to go from here.

Solution
I suspect your PSU, being a low-quality brand like Thermaltake it's not powerful enough. It works with your friend's Thermaltake only because his is higher wattage which compensates somewhat for it being a poor brand.

Get a quality-brand 500w or 550w PSU and you should be good to go.
I suspect your PSU, being a low-quality brand like Thermaltake it's not powerful enough. It works with your friend's Thermaltake only because his is higher wattage which compensates somewhat for it being a poor brand.

Solution

suraweera.shenal

Commendable
Nov 6, 2017

Appreciate the help but the thing is I would but if you read what I typed out I stated that gigabyte's white led where the pcie power connectors are was not lit up or blinking suggesting no power issues. Also considering the fact that the RX570 ran on this very power supply for 18 months its strange to consider that the PSU is at fault. Furthermore, the 660 Ti is currently back in the system and runs like a charm despite having a higher TDP.

I understand this forum's tend to bash the living hell out of the Thermaltake power supplies and I've seen the same advice been shoved at tons of other people to purchase a better power supply but I haven't found any evidence saying that a new power supply fixed the problem nor any reasoning behind how buying a 'quality brand' will fix my problem. Also purchasing a power supply costs a fair bit and I can't even return it if it turns out it does jack <Mod Edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
We know for fact your video card is ok thank goodness. I understand it worked for 18 months but the PSU has lost it's mojo and Im not pointing fingers on your PSU or your friends. Facts are facts,,, the card is good and your mobo and CPU and RAM are fine. You must replace your PSU its a no brainer. Get whatever you can afford but be sure if it's a very cheap bran you buy 650w and if its a more expensive top brand then get a 550w. Simple as that. Good Luck! ;)

suraweera.shenal

Commendable
Nov 6, 2017
Seems like you don't need us if you trash everything we advise you to do. Good luck anyway.

sorry for making it seem like I was coming onto you mate, just wanted to be certain that a new power supply will be able to bring life into this paperweight. Its just that I haven't found many updates from others on whether a new power supply has managed to help them after being told the same thing and felt a bit irritated having read the same thing over and over.

We know for fact your video card is ok thank goodness. I understand it worked for 18 months but the PSU has lost it's mojo and Im not pointing fingers on your PSU or your friends. Facts are facts,,, the card is good and your mobo and CPU and RAM are fine. You must replace your PSU its a no brainer. Get whatever you can afford but be sure if it's a very cheap bran you buy 650w and if its a more expensive top brand then get a 550w. Simple as that. Good Luck! ;)

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Corsair CX450M. I'll make sure to update the thread on how that goes.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
sorry for making it seem like I was coming onto you mate, just wanted to be certain that a new power supply will be able to bring life into this paperweight. Its just that I haven't found many updates from others on whether a new power supply has managed to help them after being told the same thing and felt a bit irritated having read the same thing over and over.

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Corsair CX450M. I'll make sure to update the thread on how that goes.
Yes update us my friend. You can get a quality 450w but I usually suggest 550w as the sweet spot and what not.

suraweera.shenal

Commendable
Nov 6, 2017
Yes update us my friend. You can get a quality 450w but I usually suggest 550w as the sweet spot and what not.

Yeah, I would if I could. Kinda cash strapped now, with imminent lockdown happening in my state, so I've set myself to a $100 AUD budget. My local store have chucked an offer on the Corsair CX450M which brings the price down to $95. The other higher watt power supplies are available but they are not your Corsair's, etc. There is a gigabyte PB-650 i was considering but haven't really heard much about it.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, I would if I could. Kinda cash strapped now, with imminent lockdown happening in my state, so I've set myself to a $100 AUD budget. My local store have chucked an offer on the Corsair CX450M which brings the price down to $95. The other higher watt power supplies are available but they are not your Corsair's, etc. There is a gigabyte PB-650 i was considering but haven't really heard much about it.
Oh few,,, sighs.. Thank goodness you got a Corsair. That is quality and the ampage on the 12v railing should be enough for video cards like a 1650 GTX or a 570 AMD. So fingers crossed you don't run into any problems.