Question Gigabyte VS EVGA version of RTX 2070 Super

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi,

I'm intending to purchase an RTX 2070 Super to replace my AMD RX5700XT but I'm not entirely sure which version of the 2070 Super I should get.

I was originally going to get a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3x as this is the only Gigabyte version that's available in my country on Amazon at the moment. I would have preferred to get the Gaming OC version because it has a thicker cooler but that's out of stock at the moment.

However I have come across EVGA's line of 2070 Super cards shown here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeFor...TWY9XZ5/ref=psdc_430524031_t1_B07X51LTKK?th=1

I was thinking of getting the EVGA "Black" version. It's 50 Euros more than the Windforce OC but it only has two fans as opposed to Gigabytes three fans. I wonder would that mean that the Gigabyte version is quieter because it has more fans? I've been told that EVGA products have very good customer supports and warranties etc.

I'm just wondering could anyone share their opinion on the two cards and whether I should go for one or the other?

Any helpful info would be great.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm intending to purchase an RTX 2070 Super to replace my AMD RX5700XT but I'm not entirely sure which version of the 2070 Super I should get.

I was originally going to get a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3x as this is the only Gigabyte version that's available in my country on Amazon at the moment. I would have preferred to get the Gaming OC version because it has a thicker cooler but that's out of stock at the moment.

However I have come across EVGA's line of 2070 Super cards shown here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeFor...TWY9XZ5/ref=psdc_430524031_t1_B07X51LTKK?th=1

I was thinking of getting the EVGA "Black" version. It's 50 Euros more than the Windforce OC but it only has two fans as opposed to Gigabytes three fans. I wonder would that mean that the Gigabyte version is quieter because it has more fans? I've been told that EVGA products have very good customer supports and warranties etc.

I'm just wondering could anyone share their opinion on the two cards and whether I should go for one or the other?

Any helpful info would be great.

Thanks
Firstly, I know this is irrelevant but why upgrade? Is it for ray tracing? The RX5700XT is practically 10fps less. However aside from that, it depends on preference which one you like more. The 3 fan version is more quieter but the EVGA may be overclocked etc. I would only consider however on the look, I would've gone for the 3 fan version as it is a little quieter and cooler however its up to you

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Firstly, I know this is irrelevant but why upgrade? Is it for ray tracing? The RX5700XT is practically 10fps less. However aside from that, it depends on preference which one you like more. The 3 fan version is more quieter but the EVGA may be overclocked etc. I would only consider however on the look, I would've gone for the 3 fan version as it is a little quieter and cooler however its up to you
The main reason for me changing the card is because I'm having significant driver issues with the 5700XT. I use emulators that play my old Wii and Wii U games which don't work very well with the 5700XT because of the drivers. The only way I can use the emulators without issues is to download a Linux distribution like Ubuntu which is proving to be an awkward process for me at the moment.

Also I'm having significant aliasing issues with games such as GTA 5 and Metal Gear Solid 5 that I'm not able to amend with the 5700XT. I've read online that there are fixes to the aliasing problems in GTA 5 but you need an NVidia card for it to work.
Also I've experienced random freezing and automatic shutdowns when playing GTA5 and running the Dolphin emulator. It's very annoying and I don't know whether this issue is specific to the RX5700XT.

It's small things such as this that make me want to return the 5700XT and replace it with an NVidia equivalent. The AMD card is just a bit finicky.

Doesn't EVGA provide better warranties than Gigabyte? And it is known for its good customer support?
I have a Fractal Design Refine R6 that has sound dampening material inside the case so would purchasing the EVGA version not matter even if it is a little louder?

The main reason for me changing the card is because I'm having significant driver issues with the 5700XT. I use emulators that play my old Wii and Wii U games which don't work very well with the 5700XT because of the drivers. The only way I can use the emulators without issues is to download a Linux distribution like Ubuntu which is proving to be an awkward process for me at the moment.

Also I'm having significant aliasing issues with games such as GTA 5 and Metal Gear Solid 5 that I'm not able to amend with the 5700XT. I've read online that there are fixes to the aliasing problems in GTA 5 but you need an NVidia card for it to work.
Also I've experienced random freezing and automatic shutdowns when playing GTA5 and running the Dolphin emulator. It's very annoying and I don't know whether this issue is specific to the RX5700XT.

It's small things such as this that make me want to return the 5700XT and replace it with an NVidia equivalent. The AMD card is just a bit finicky.

Doesn't EVGA provide better warranties than Gigabyte? And it is known for its good customer support?
I have a Fractal Design Refine R6 that has sound dampening material inside the case so would purchasing the EVGA version not matter even if it is a little louder?
Ok I understand about the RX5700xt issue, fair enough. I feel like the 3 fan version feels more alive, larger and hides a lot of the computer's unecessary space (if your computer has a transparent panel). However if you don't, its more of budget, easier oc and of course, better reviews, customer support and all that. The EVGA has way more display ports and a thunderbolt one therefore it is also more advanced. If you don't care about look and have a higher budget, get the EVGA one.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Ok I understand about the RX5700xt issue, fair enough. I feel like the 3 fan version feels more alive, larger and hides a lot of the computer's unecessary space (if your computer has a transparent panel). However if you don't, its more of budget, easier oc and of course, better reviews, customer support and all that. The EVGA has way more display ports and a thunderbolt one therefore it is also more advanced. If you don't care about look and have a higher budget, get the EVGA one.
I specifically bought my Refine R6 NOT to have a display panel as I want my case to be as discreet and minimalistic as possible. I'm not into RGB and all of that kind of stuff at all.

Did you say that the EVGA version had better reviews? I swear to god the variety of the different EVGA cards shown here are so overwhelming: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeFor...subtag=tomshardware-ie-9813082119535194000-21

I have no idea which one to get. I assume the "Black Gaming" is the most popular one? You say that the Black Gaming has more DisplayPorts but when looking at photos on the Amazon item listing the Black Gaming version has the exact same amount of display ports compared to the Gigabyte Windforce OC. However the Black Gaming has an USB-C port also.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Save your money and get the RTX 2060 Super 2070 Super is only slightly better but costs more
But wont the 2070 Super be more future proof? Also when looking at comparison videos of the two cards in YT there was a significant difference between the cards in some games such as Witcher 3 and Battlefield 5. Almost a 10 frame difference.

Plus I'm used to the frame rate I get from the RX5700XT at the moment and I'd like to get an NVidia card that is comparable to it performance-wise.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Idk man, i would prefer the evga rtx 2070 super. Gigabyte gpus are crap at cooling even with the 3 fans especially the windforce oc. Gaming oc is better. I hear people saying that the 3 fans of gigabyte gpu loses to 2 fans of sapphire pulse gpus. If the price difference is huge between the 2 cards, i would just go for the cheaper one.

Reactions: realghostbuster

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Idk man, i would prefer the evga rtx 2070 super. Gigabyte gpus are crap at cooling even with the 3 fans especially the windforce oc. Gaming oc is better. I hear people saying that the 3 fans of gigabyte gpu loses to 2 fans of sapphire pulse gpus. If the price difference is huge between the 2 cards, i would just go for the cheaper one.
The price difference between the Gigabyte Windforce OC and the EVGA Black Gaming is 50 Euros. The EVGA card costs 550 USD approx in my country.
The one thing that is putting me off getting the EVGA(the more expensive of the two) is that because it only has two fans it means that it will be louder than the current PowerColor RX5700XT that I have which is very quiet. I can take a chance and purchase the EVGA and if its too loud or suffers coil whine I can return it?

Do EVGA have a good reputation when it comes to GPUs? Just having a quick look on Google they seem to be quite reputable in that department. I have an EVGA PSU which works fine and is quiet.

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
The price difference between the Gigabyte Windforce OC and the EVGA Black Gaming is 50 Euros. The EVGA card costs 550 USD approx in my country.
The one thing that is putting me off getting the EVGA(the more expensive of the two) is that because it only has two fans it means that it will be louder than the current PowerColor RX5700XT that I have which is very quiet. I can take a chance and purchase the EVGA and if its too loud or suffers coil whine I can return it?

Do EVGA have a good reputation when it comes to GPUs? Just having a quick look on Google they seem to be quite reputable in that department. I have an EVGA PSU which works fine and is quiet.
More fans does not equal better temps. It all depends on the cooling system. Now you will need to do a lot of research on this because if you just google evga vs gigabyte rtx 2070 super temps, most of them will only show the temperature results which is understandable. But what about the fan speed? Some cards out of the box run at higher fans rpm leading them to lower temps in these results.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcB74MYotw

If you go to this video and skip to the 5:40 mark, you will see the gigabyte card with 3 fans perform better than the pulse with 2 fans slightly better. But if you skip ahead again to 6:30, the acoustic level of the 2 cards is the same meaning the 2 fans with the same rpm as the 3 fans manage to stay almost even. I'm not sure about how you guys view the currency as i am not from NA or EU so i cant say if 50 euros is a lot for you but if you dont care about the noise level, go for the gigabyte. It should have better cooling if you crank up the fans. For evga rtx 2070 super, the xc ultra is a bit better than the black edition according to online research. From the reviews of the owners, they say it's a quiet card too with good temps.
You can check the temps here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xomQ-qvrBMM

Reactions: realghostbuster

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
More fans does not equal better temps. It all depends on the cooling system. Now you will need to do a lot of research on this because if you just google evga vs gigabyte rtx 2070 super temps, most of them will only show the temperature results which is understandable. But what about the fan speed? Some cards out of the box run at higher fans rpm leading them to lower temps in these results.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcB74MYotw

If you go to this video and skip to the 5:40 mark, you will see the gigabyte card with 3 fans perform better than the pulse with 2 fans slightly better. But if you skip ahead again to 6:30, the acoustic level of the 2 cards is the same meaning the 2 fans with the same rpm as the 3 fans manage to stay almost even. I'm not sure about how you guys view the currency as i am not from NA or EU so i cant say if 50 euros is a lot for you but if you dont care about the noise level, go for the gigabyte. It should have better cooling if you crank up the fans. For evga rtx 2070 super, the xc ultra is a bit better than the black edition according to online research. From the reviews of the owners, they say it's a quiet card too with good temps.
You can check the temps here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xomQ-qvrBMM
I've done a bit of research of the EVGA RTX 2070 Super cards that are available for me to purchase on Amazon which I've typed out below:

KO Gaming:
Costs: 583.93 Euros
Boost Clock: 1770 Mhz
No backplate
No RGB
Dual Slot
No USB-C or Virtual Link

Black Gaming:
Cost: 601.74 Euros
Boost Clock: 1770 Mhz
No backplate
No RGB
Dual Slot
Design for USB Type-C and Virtual Link

XC GAMING:
Cost: 632.96 Euros
Boost Clock: 1800 Mhz
Adjustable RGB LED
All metal backplate(pre-installed)
Dual Slot

XC Ultra Gaming:
Cost: 654 Euros
Boost Clock: 1800 Mhz
Adjustable RGB LED
2.75 Slot

FTW3 Ultra:
Cost: 668 Euros
Boost Clock: 1815 Mhz
Adjustable RGB LED
EVGA iCX2 Technology
2.75 Slot

For me personally I'm going to go with either the "Black Gaming" version or the "KO Gaming Version". I have no interest in RGB capability or having a back plate installed and I would like my card to only take up two slots on my motherboard. The Black Gaming has USB-C capability which could come in handy in the future for VR. I have no idea what virtual link is but I think it has something to do with VR also.

The boost clock on both of these cards is 1770 Mhz whereas the other cards have a boost clock of 1800Mhz upwards. I can't imagine a significant difference between the boost clock speeds of the cards.

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is the RX5700XT card that I currently have has the following clock specs:

Base Clock: 1 770 MHz
Game Clock: 1. 905 MHz
Boost Clock: 2 010 MHz

I got these specs from the item listing page here:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WP6TYQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does that mean that when I purchase the EVGA Black Gaming version of the RTX 2070 Super I will essentially be downgrading my GPU when it comes to clock speeds? The boost clock advertised on the EVGA Black Gaming is 1770Mhz whereas the boost clock on the RX5700XT is 2010Mhz supposedly.

Last edited: