Review Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G: Twice as Nice

trashpandacoder

Commendable
Jan 13, 2018
"Excessive PCIe, M.2 & SATA sharing"
As with the Taichi..."Dealt by Intel pairs of duces and threes, ASRock is hoping for a full house". So we pay as much as a TRX40, but without PCIE 4.0 and hobbled M.2?
Aorus TRX40 for $500. Too little too late Intel. I am going Team Red for my next builds for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
Looks like a nice board and my Z170 Designare is still holding up very nicely. But is it worth investing in X299 when AMD is becoming more increasingly dominant in this area? Especially with the new TR4-3000 series?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Looks like a nice board and my Z170 Designare is still holding up very nicely. But is it worth investing in X299 when AMD is becoming more increasingly dominant in this area? Especially with the new TR4-3000 series?
Great point, and far better than "But I can get a TRX40 board with fewer than half the features for a little less money". We'll see how much a TRX40 board with these features costs: I'm thinking $700 or so in USA.
On the other hand the 10980XE does have a niche: People who need a lot of PCIe lanes won't want the X570 platform, so they're not getting AM4 processors, and the 10980XE is cheaper than the 3960X.

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I've harped on this before, but there is no reason to not have ECC as standard, but especially at these prices. I know it does not matter to most gamers and overclockers, but many well meaning PC users do not know that their data is at risk. Google has shown that ECC hits happen during high solar flare events.

Intel has been fleecing people for years on data safety, and now DRAM is almost the only data path that does not have some protection on Intel desktops. AMD has ECC on their Pro CPUs, and they have had ECC on the desktop for a LONG time.

PCIe has parity checking, and even SSDs have RAID and wear leveling. With ECC being long in the tooth, the new serial based memory interface should consider this as defacto. I am not buying any processors anymore without some kind of memory error correction. Once this becomes standard, the price difference goes away, just like with SSDs.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I think I posted 5 or 6 years ago that I really wish 10G Ethernet would make it's way into the consumer market already. 1Gbs has been maxed out for a LONG time, just with regular SATA 3 HDD, let alone SATA 3 SSDs. And we've had m.2 for several years now. It's frustrating that NAS are becoming common for regular home use, and have pretty good Read/Write even on the cheap ones, but it's still limited by 1Gbs for transferring to and from