Gigabyte x99-UD4 New build boot loop no post no beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdev1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I read the http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems no post no beep sticky and it was helpful, but did not solve the problem.

The computer will not boot or post. The PSU and all the fans spin up. The lights on the MB light up for about 5 seconds then auto reboots.

RAM - I've tried 1 stick, two stick, and even swapped sticks and did several remounts of the RAM. I read the manual and placed it in the correct slots based on the 1 and 2 stick configurations.

I have remounted the video card several times. It has both 6 pins plugged in to the main PSU cable. I have also used both DVI ports hoping one might work.

I have tried booting with and without the Blue Ray ROM and SSD connected. Same boot loop no post issue.

I have tried with the case USB cords plugged in and not. Only using the power, lights, and reset cords with the white wire on the negative. I guess in some reviews people had issues with the USB 3 and a version of the BIOS, so with no external USB connected it should not be an issue

The CPU is placed correctly with the triangle in the right corner and the notches lined up. The protective CPU plastic cover has been removed.
The CPU cooler is installed with the thermal paste and the fan is plugged into the CPU fan plug. (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan Model #:RR-212E-20PK-R2)

The two 4 pin CPU power cables are plugged in, the larger motherboard (20 pin?) is also plugged in.

I have tried turning the motherboard on while mounted inside the case with 6 standoff pins. When that did not work I took everything out of the case and set it up on the motherboard box.

The motherboard and case do not seem to have speakers so I am unable to hear any beeps nor was I able to find a beep table for the product.

So the only devices connected are the motherboard, RAM, video card, CPU, and CPU cooler, PSU, (and monitor). If it matters I was using a very basic old school PS/2 keyboard (the circle port) and a USB mouse.

I know the monitor works with my other PC.
The power supply is more than enough power and seems to turn things on.
Chances that 2 out of 2 RAM are bad is less likely.
The CPU cooler is installed and the fan spins.

What is wrong? What is causing the PC to reboot without posting? What else can I test? Not sure if I need to RMA the motherboard, CPU,or RAM.

Thank you,

bdev1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
For reference, the parts I am working with are:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
Model #:Nine Hundred
Item #:N82E16811129021

GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:GA-X99-UD4
Item #:N82E16813128751

EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler ...
Model #:04G-P4-2768-KR
Item #:N82E16814130949

Antec TruePower Classic series TP-750C 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Antec TP-750C Power Supply
Model #:TP-750C
Item #:N82E16817371073

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75820K
Model #:BX80648I75820K
Item #:N82E16819117402

Crucial M500 CT480M500SSD1 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Model #:CT480M500SSD1
Item #:N82E16820148695

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K8G4DFD8213
Model #:CT2K8G4DFD8213
Item #:N82E16820148859

ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
Model #:BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Item #:N82E16827135247

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
Model #:RR-212E-20PK-R2
Item #:N82E16835103099

bdev1

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for the feedback. I had to wait till I had time set aside to take apart my working PC to use as test parts.

Needless to say, after swaping working monitor, PSU, video card, trying two RAM sticks (numerous reseatings) with and without a case and updating the bios (per Gigabyte), resetting the battery and not having anything else connected always the same result bootloop with no post.

I guess the end result is 1 bad mother board and/or bad CPU and/or 2 bad sticks of RAM. Ended up RMAing the MB. Hopefully the CPU and RAM is fine. Would really like to get this beast fired up!

Open to other ideas. I can't find a beep code for this MB nor do I have a speaker at the moment. Thanks for the help.

Suggestions for an alternative MB with LGA2011v3 if this thing does not pan out?

in4zane

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
bdev1 ,
I have almost the exact same setup as you and had the same problem. The first few times I started the computer I got to the Bios prompt screen and selected to go into Bios and then the screen shown only a number (A9) and a digit and then froze. After trying many things and disconnected non-essentials, I started only getting the powering for 5 seconds and then it would auto reboot. I researched online and noted that there are Bios issues/problems with USB and some drives, but that doesn't appear to explain why I can't even get to the Bios.
I have just ordered a different Motherboard and would rather just have the money back on this one, but that won't happen as I am past the return window with Microcenter. I might get a certified board through RMA and sell it online. I could potentially return the motherboard I just ordered, but between the bios problems on this board and the enhanced features on the newer board I ordered (ASUS X-99 Pro/USB3.1), I'm thinking I want to keep the newer one.
Did you receive your RMA back and test it? I would love to know if it is a board problem.

hurley2772

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Hey I have the fix for you

So the issue you are having is most likely a factory installed defective Bios and to fix this is relatively simple.

all you need to do is first start by Removing all the ram off your motherboard. With another computer download the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard from gigabyte's website (you may have to unzip the file first), then rename that bios file GIGABYTE.BIN. Format a flash drive to fat32 (if it isn't already) and throw ONLY that file onto the flash drive. With the ram still off the motherboard and the computer off, stick in the flash drive with the Bios file on it into the White USB port, and turn the computer on. On the back of the motherboard you will see your flash drive (if it has a light) and an orange LED on the motherboard start flashing. Once you see the flashing stop and it becomes a solid, turn the computer back off (you may have to hold the power button for 10 seconds) remove the flash drive, and install only 1 stick of ram (for now) and then turn the computer back on from this point your computer should actually give you a display and should finally be working.

I work at a Microcenter, and had a customer come in with the same issue and spent an hour and a half trying to figure this out.

The Bios refused to actually install without having the RAM removed from the system. So that is key

Recap
1. Turn off the computer and remove all RAM DIMMS from the motherboard
2. Using another computer download the latest Bios from gigabyte's website for your motherboard
3. Rename the Bios file GIGABYTE.BIN and put it on a clean flash drive with no other files on it.
4. Put flash drive into the White USB port on the back of the motherboard, and turn the computer on
5. Wait for the flashing lights to stop (USB and Motherboard LED)
6. Turn off the system (May have to hold power button for 10 seconds)
7. Install only ONE RAM DIMM for now and turn the computer back on.
8. Enjoy your functional computer.

I really hope this helps you

Sincerely,
Some random Microcenter Employee

orliza

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Can anyone confirm if the solution given by hurley2772 is actually works?
I have seen exactly the same post on http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16361.0
So is this an actual solution to the problem????
I also have new build with same motherboard and processor. But no matter what I try it will not post...not once. I checked numerous forums, so far none of the solutions has been of any help. When I turn on computer the fans a working for about 25 sec then the computer reboots...but no signal on the screen. I even checked my cpu pins, the problem are not there.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is updating BIOS. But even the official website says that bios flashing is risky.
please help!

likeableguy

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I can confirm hurley2772's solution works.

The only difference I made was not taking out the RAM. I put the updated BIOS (renamed to GIGABYTE.BIN) on a FAT32 formatted flash drive. Placed the drive into the white usb port marked BIOS and booted up. I waited until the lights quit blinking and it appeared stuck. I waited a bit longer (maybe 5 minutes) then turned the power off.

When I turned the computer back on I got a message saying the BIOS was restoring itself and it booted. It's been running like a champ ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS