Question Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 randomly restarts (and then caught in a loop)

Apr 19, 2019
I bought this motherboard for a custom built 2 years ago, and at first it was working fine.

Then about 6 months ago it suddenly restarted by itself (I had been using the PC for a couple of hours, and the whole thing rebooted).
After that it would look like it was booting, restarting, and booting again.
It would be caught in that cycle until I unplugged the power cord, waited a couple of hours, and started it again (at which point it would start correctly).

The PC would then work fine for a couple of weeks or so, and then it would happen again. It's been pretty recurrent.
The stage at which it restarts varies. Sometimes it's straightaway, sometimes it's after 10 seconds or so (before Windows boots at all), and sometimes it's after Windows has started to boot.
Usually waiting a couple of hours makes it work again.

Any idea what might cause something like that?

I've troubleshoot everything I can, but it's a bit odd that it's working fine for a while, and suddenly failing for a short while... (not to mention rather frustrating!)

Thanks a million for any clue!

Which POWER SUPPLY unit do you actually have ? A system reboot/restart might be an indication of a failing PSU. Though, this is just my guess right now...I could be wrong though. List your other PC specs as well. Have you tried swapping the power cables as well ?

Are you using the MOBO's onboard integrated graphics, or a dedicated GPU to boot your system ? sorry for the typo errors

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for the help, that's much appreciated.

The power supply is a ULT-LSP750P

Other specs:
  • CPU: i7 6700
  • Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K8G4DFD8213
  • GPU: can't remember, but it's a dedicated one (although a pretty basic one)

By "swapping the power cables" , do you mean the internal ones - from the PSU to the various slots on the mobo?

Thanks again!

The power supply is a ULT-LSP750P

Is that a PSU model in the likes of Ultra LSP ? This is a very low quality PSU, as far as my memory goes. I think it's a TIER 5 PSU, which is NOT recommended for Gaming/high-end rigs. Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong. I would surely replace this power supply unit.

Don't cheap out on the PSU. I suspect your current power supply unit as the culprit here. So, you don't know which GPU you have ? By "swapping the power cables", I meant to say using a new and different power cable....My original post wasn't clear enough, so I'm sorry for that.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Is that a PSU model in the likes of Ultra LSP ?

Yes, that's the one. I didn't realize it was a low-quality PSU, but it would make sense that it's the culprit - that would explain the sudden powering off.

I'm not using the PC for gaming, but as an audio workstation, so there's probably a lot of power drawn from various peripherals.

I'm going to try to get a new one tomorrow - maybe something like the Corsair RM850x, and will report back.

Thanks again for the clues, that's much appreciated!

Apr 19, 2019
I bought a Corsair RM850x today and replaced the Ultra LSP.
And lo and behold, everything seems to be working fine so far!
So, I think that was indeed the issue.

Thanks so much for your help, somehow I would have not thought about the power supply (seems obvious in retrospect!), but you totally got in the right direction. Kudos to you!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.