[SOLVED] Gigabyte z270x Gaming 5 BIOS update

arnold11234

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017
Hey everyone ! I have a motherboard named above, and I haven't updated it's BIOS since I have it. It still has BIOS version F3, and the newest is F10b (F9 if betas doesn't count). My question is, should I give it a try and upgrade it? Everything is just fine, but my xmp profile doesn't work at 3000mhz (I got errors, bluescreen so I have to run it at 2133 base), and my cpu is overclocked to 4.5ghz (i7-7700k), which has 'spikes' meaning, if - say idling on 40 celsius- and I suddenly start something resource hungry, it spikes up to 70celsius under 1 second, then goes down to 50 again. I've read it might be the 'effect' of overclocking? I also saw that BIOS updates containing XMP high speed compatibility (alongside with DDR compatibilty), V-core voltage adjusts (I am really afraid of this, why would they mess around with it?), micro code fixes (flaw issue fixing), and updated security vulnerabilites. Do anyone have this kind of motherboard? Or could someone give me advice? Thanks in advance. P.s: I never ever have updated any BIOS, so your answers are very appreciated.

Solution
Motherboard bios updates often fix ram stability issues so an update might be in order.
But, you say all is fine so I wonder it such an update is worthwhile.
Se if one of the updates looks like it will fix your problem.
But, before you flash, read up on how to recover from a failed flash.
Older motherboards do not recover as well as current ones and some can not recover at all.
A flash can be scary. It will look like nothing at all is going on for many minutes and you may think it failed. Do not interrupt the flash.

If you implemented speedstep and adaptive voltage, the multiplier and voltage will be lowered when the processor has little to do. That is normal and a good thing.

I found out in my past overclocking on older systems...
Motherboard bios updates often fix ram stability issues so an update might be in order.
But, you say all is fine so I wonder it such an update is worthwhile.
Se if one of the updates looks like it will fix your problem.
But, before you flash, read up on how to recover from a failed flash.
Older motherboards do not recover as well as current ones and some can not recover at all.
A flash can be scary. It will look like nothing at all is going on for many minutes and you may think it failed. Do not interrupt the flash.

If you implemented speedstep and adaptive voltage, the multiplier and voltage will be lowered when the processor has little to do. That is normal and a good thing.

I found out in my past overclocking on older systems that using XMP reduced the maximum multiplier. Since intel is not much impacted by ram speeds, I ran stock ram speeds in favor of a higher multiplier.

Reactions: arnold11234
Solution