Question Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite Boot F12 menu wont allow USB boot

Oct 19, 2019
Hey i have already flashed the motherboard 3 months ago with F8 latest bios and it's working fine, but i went into the bios last night and messed something up and now it wont let me give me F12 boot to usb option.

Sometimes the F12 works but it goes into a looping black screen of death when i press F12. Sometimes it shows the F12 boot menu but when i try to choose USB and press ENTER it just goes into a looping black screen of death.

I have used Windows Creation tools to download Windows 10 Pro and did this to 3 USB drives and when i try to boot into it by pressing F12 the problems recoccurs so i bought 3 new USB sticks today and used RUFUS as well as Windows creation Tool to install Windows 10 from Microsoft the same thing happened.

I have no idea what i messed with in the bios but it wont boot to menu even after i haved loaded optimum option in bios it still wont let me press F12 to choose and sometimes the boot menu doesn't even show up.

Please help me thank you in advance.

A snapshot on my system info is in the link below.
https://ibb.co/svfvLxw

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 19, 2019
Are your USB drives being attached to the front panel (front of your case) or rear panel (attached directly to motherboard)?

I tried every ports front and rear but i think i found the problem - my system cant read usb install disk that has NTFS file system ... i am able to boot to menu if i format my install disk to Fat32.

I used rufus again but this time i wrote all my windows 10 install disk to fat32 and now i am able to boot to menu - i think i disabled something in bios so i could install Linux Debian and because of that it wont let me read NTFS USB install disk :(

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019
When you use the media creation tool from MS, it handles all appropriate formatting. This can all be done without using Rufus.

Yes you are right, i have 2 ISO both from Microsoft Website i have downloaded from, one of them RUFUS writes in NTFS and the other one it writes in FAT32.

I tried the Fat32 version that RUFUS suggested and it worked - i didn't have this issue before but i think it is because i messed with the bios settings to enable Linux installation it now only lets me boot FAT32 file system for Windows USB install disk.

Thank you all for your kind help ....

Oct 19, 2019
I hope my problem will help others out thank you once again.

[Solved: F12 boot menu wont show up of not working when trying to install Windows 10 from USB]

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite CF
My bios settings:
Disabled Trusted Computer
Disabled CSM
Disabled Fast Boot
Disabled Secure Boot
USB file system FAT32

Last edited: