Question Gigabyte z390 Aorus Ultra - blinks once with power, then nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2019
Hello all,

First time build. Gigabyte z390 Aorus Ultra motherboard, i9-9900k processor, 2x16 GB RAM, Corsair 100i AIO cooler, m.2 SSD boot drive. No graphics card at this point. I got everything plugged in, but when I flip the power at psu, motherboard lights up for a moment, then nothing. I can't turn the pc on, no error codes, no fans, absolutely nothing. I turn the psu off, then on again, and the same thing. Motherboard LEDs come on for a brief moment, then disappear. I've tried this with and without the RAM, the SSD, and the CPU power cable. Same behavior every time.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Frustrated and befuddled

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to inspect the CPU and the CPU socket to see if there are any bent or broken pins on the board's socket area. Which slots have you populated on the board?

Reactions: jankerson
Hello all,

First time build. Gigabyte z390 Aorus Ultra motherboard, i9-9900k processor, 2x16 GB RAM, Corsair 100i AIO cooler, m.2 SSD boot drive. No graphics card at this point. I got everything plugged in, but when I flip the power at psu, motherboard lights up for a moment, then nothing. I can't turn the pc on, no error codes, no fans, absolutely nothing. I turn the psu off, then on again, and the same thing. Motherboard LEDs come on for a brief moment, then disappear. I've tried this with and without the RAM, the SSD, and the CPU power cable. Same behavior every time.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Frustrated and befuddled

Hi, Make sure that you are connecting the case fans to either board, or power supply, not to both. If still no go, try testing the board outside the case.

May 22, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to inspect the CPU and the CPU socket to see if there are any bent or broken pins on the board's socket area. Which slots have you populated on the board?

Thank you for the feedback:
CPU: i9-9900k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Ram: 2x16GB DDR4 3200 Ripsaw
SSD/HDD: 1TB WD Blue m.2 SATA
GPU: integrated
PSU: Corsair Bronze 550 Watt
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 750D

I will check the CPU socket, though I was careful to align the two notches and the arrow and it felt snug before I closed locking mechanism. I have populated the system/cpu fans, front panel headers, RAM (dual channel mode, confirmed with mb manual in slots 2 & 4), SSD, 2x4 power, and motherboard connector.

May 22, 2019
Hi, Make sure that you are connecting the case fans to either board, or power supply, not to both. If still no go, try testing the board outside the case.

My AIO liquid cooler takes a SATA power from the psu, then 3-pin to the board, and a usb to the board. System fans are connected only to the board.

Thank you for the feedback:
CPU: i9-9900k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Ram: 2x16GB DDR4 3200 Ripsaw
SSD/HDD: 1TB WD Blue m.2 SATA
GPU: integrated
PSU: Corsair Bronze 550 Watt
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 750D

I will check the CPU socket, though I was careful to align the two notches and the arrow and it felt snug before I closed locking mechanism. I have populated the system/cpu fans, front panel headers, RAM (dual channel mode, confirmed with mb manual in slots 2 & 4), SSD, 2x4 power, and motherboard connector.

Sounds like a PSU issue to me.

Is the 8 PIN CPU power plugged in?

All of those nice parts then cheap out on the PSU and one that shouldn't even be in that system?

Last edited:
May 22, 2019
Sounds like a PSU issue to me.

Is the 8 PIN CPU power plugged in?

All of those nice parts then cheap out on the PSU?

Yes, the 8 PIN CPU power is plugged in snugly. When I unplug the 8 PIN (to rule out cpu issue), the same behavior is exhibited.

I wasn't sure about the psu. I assume it is working because when I switch it on, the motherboard clearly gets power as indicated by the brief LED flash. I don't think it's insufficient because I'm just trying to power the case, motherboard, cpu, ssd, and cooler. If I had a high-end gpu in there I might be nervous. It's almost like the motherboard is shutting it down, perhaps a safety concern (e.g., prevent a short?). Gigabyte's troubleshooting documentation is virtually non-existent.

Yes, the 8 PIN CPU power is plugged in snugly.

I wasn't sure about the psu. I assume it is working because when I switch it on, the motherboard clearly gets power as indicated by the brief LED flash. I don't think it's insufficient because I'm just trying to power the case, motherboard, cpu, ssd, and cooler. If I had a high-end gpu in there I might be nervous. It's almost like the motherboard is shutting it down, perhaps a safety concern (e.g., prevent a short?).

Try another PSU.

The MIN Specs of the PSU for those MB's is 550W per Gigabyte.

It's the quality of the PSU that in question.

If you have to flip the switch on the PSU that is a problem.

May 22, 2019
Low quality PSU with high end parts, that is never a good idea.

Shouldn't even be in the same room.
Ah, I didn't realize it was a poor quality psu. That said, I should at least be able to get into the POST and BIOS, right? It won't even turn on, let alone do anything demanding. I could see if it was underpowered I'd have performance issues, but 550W should at least get into BIOS.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a poor quality psu. That said, I should at least be able to get into the POST and BIOS, right? It won't even turn on, let alone do anything demanding. I could see if it was underpowered I'd have performance issues, but 550W should at least get into BIOS.

Try another PSU, a better quality unit.

Corsair RMX
EVGA G2
Seasonic Focus Plus.

Ideally 650W.

Reactions: Travillion
May 22, 2019
Depends. :D

The MB isn't happy about something that's for sure.

Seen it happen before a number of times, it's normally due to a PSU issue and or power connection.

When they shut down that fast.
OK, ordered a new psu. Still, would love to be able to get this thing to at least boot so I can be confident in my wiring.

the problem is likely you are trying to run a I9 9900K systems with a low 550W PSU. if the system was able to run with it then you wouldn't have this problem until you added a dedicated GPU.

Corsair is still one of the better brands for PSU's but that model is not so good. get a gold rated PSU with at least 650-700W

May 22, 2019
the problem is likely you are trying to run a I9 9900K systems with a low 550W PSU. if the system was able to run with it then you wouldn't have this problem until you added a dedicated GPU.

Corsair is still one of the better brands for PSU's but that model is not so good. get a gold rated PSU with at least 650-700W
I ordered the Corsair RMX 650 gold rated. Since 550 wasn't enough, I assume if I eventually add a discrete GPU, I'll need to upgrade the PSU again?

May 22, 2019
650W would likely be enough but with it being a bronze level PSU it may be iffy. plug this would depend on how much you plan to overclock the CPU (which i assume is the reason why you would get a K version of an intel CPU)
New 650 psu is gold rated. No immediate plans to overclock. I just don't replace systems frequently so I try and get what will give me most longevity.

May 22, 2019
OK, complete and utter loss here. I have taken the motherboard out of the case and only left the cpu. I am using a brand new Corsair RM650X, gold rated psu. This is just motherboard and CPU, and the same exact thing! Motherboard flashes for a moment when the power is turned on and then nothing. What else could it be?

May 22, 2019
OK, finally got it made in the shade. Did a battery pull, that seemed to fix it. Don't know what the original problem was, but a combination of battery pull and complete rebuild did the trick. Thanks to all who took some time with me.

Reactions: RiteWhabbit
Status
Not open for further replies.