Question Gigabyte Z390 m Gaming damage 6, 16Gb memory module.

Jul 2, 2024
Hello, first time posting in this forum, I will try to be brief.
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming Motherboard Intel i7 9700K 32Gb Memory installed before
I did a bios update from F8 to F9 on the Gigabyte Z 390 M Gaming motherboard and everything seemed fine, until I installed Windows 10
Then I realized that Windows was Showing
Only 16gb out of 32gb installed. I thought somehow the memory
Got damage and I installed two other modules of 16gb each for a total of 32gb, again Windows only showed 16gb. I tried only one 16gb module and Windows showed 8gb. I checked all the 6 16gb modules on another computer and they all showed 8gb instead of 16gb.
I decided to replace the motherboard. But I had the doubt, what happened to the motherboard? The mother boar was working fine on my grand son's computer when he decided to upgrade.
In addition to the bios update, I install a Corsair h60 water cooler. Could I have tightened the water cooler too much? If anyone here has any idea what happened, please shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| Where did you source the installer for your OS?
2| Did you clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version? On that note, the latest BIOS version is F10, not F9;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
3| What ram kit are you working with?
4| I install a Corsair h60 water cooler.
You should've gone with a 240mm AIO instead of that measly 120mm AIO, either that or a slightly beefy air cooler. If you suspect the mount for the block is too tight, loosen it to the point where the block is just resting on the IHS, then see if that helps.

Then I realized that Windows was Showing Only 16gb out of 32gb installed.
I thought somehow the memory Got damage and I installed two other modules of 16gb each for a total of 32gb,
again Windows only showed 16gb. I tried only one 16gb module and Windows showed 8gb.
I checked all the 6 16gb modules on another computer and they all showed 8gb instead of 16gb.
Please show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

You're probably misidentifying capacity of your ram modules.
With ram modules in a kit, full capacity of entire kit is written on each module.
Capacity of single module is only half of the kit (for dual channel kit).

Jul 2, 2024

2| Did you clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version? On that note, the latest BIOS version is F10, not F9;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-M-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
You should've gone with a 240mm AIO instead of that measly 120mm AIO, either that or a slightly beefy air cooler. If you suspect the mount for the block is too tight, loosen it to the point where the block is just resting on the IHS, then see if that helps.
Not using that board

Jul 2, 2024

The f9 had more updates than the f10 so I thought the f9 should come first
I used gigabyte q flash I don't think I had to clear the cmos. corsair vengeance plx ddr4 32gb 3600mhz Kit,
The other kit G.skill 64gb Kit f4-2133c15d.
I'm not using the board, I just wanted to have an idea what happened to the board and what damage
The memory modules.

Jul 2, 2024
Please show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

You're probably misidentifying capacity of your ram modules.
With ram modules in a kit, full capacity of entire kit is written on each module.
Capacity of single module is only half of the kit (for dual channel kit).
I am doing this quite a long time to misunderstand memory module