[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard doesn't recognize my SSD and the Ethernet Cable

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone, I got a fresh pc yesterday and I am having issues trying to install windows.
Inside I have 2 HDD and 1 SSD but from BIOS the motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X) is showing me only one HDD out of the three I have, all the others are not detected. Also, the ethernet cable is not recognized as well (the cable is working perfectly fine with another pc and with Playstation 4)
I attached a picture of the BIOS with more details and the only HDD showing up. (Picture: View: https://imgur.com/MgqLSU0
)

Problem:
I need to install Windows on the SSD but both from BIOS and both from Windows Installation this SSD is not showing up.
The SSD (kingston) should appear on the SATA1.

What I already tried:
I opened the case and tried to switch the SSD to other ports, nothing changed.
I tried to deplug all the HDD and leave only the SSD, nothing changed.
I tried to download the SATA drivers and to install it during the Windows Installer when it's asking to manually setup drivers and didn't work. From the BIOS it's still not recognized.
I installed Windows in the only HDD recognized so I have access to it, but I need to install it on the SSD.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Solution
did the APP claim to have updated the BIOS to the latest version? if there is a common software issue with this board, this is where it usually will be fixed by the manufacturer.
since it seems to have not installed correctly, causing the Windows load problem, you should download the needed BIOS & drivers yourself, as I have previously stated.
One thing I notice (weird) is that in the Device Manager, the motherboard info was not there, where it should have been, under System Devices.
if the drivers for this board aren't preloaded by Microsoft then the OS has no way to know which board you are using. Windows Update may solve this or downloading and installing the Gigabyte drivers yourself.
download the latest version of...
make sure you have all of the latest Gigabyte motherboard drivers & software installed.
also check if this is the latest version of the BIOS. if not, install the latest version and see if it helps.
maybe try changing SATA Mode to "SATA" or any type of "default" if it's an option. there may currently be a problem with the AHCI functionality.
check Gigabyte's forums/support to see if this is a common issue with this board.

Reactions: xLunatica
Feb 9, 2020
make sure you have all of the latest Gigabyte motherboard drivers & software installed.
also check if this is the latest version of the BIOS. if not, install the latest version and see if it helps.
maybe try changing SATA Mode to "SATA" or any type of "default" if it's an option. there may currently be a problem with the AHCI functionality.
check Gigabyte's forums/support to see if this is a common issue with this board.
Thanks a lot for the reply! Sorry for the question (is my first pc), how do I check the driver and software version of the motherboard?
Also, if needed, how do I install something from the BIOS? (I mean without an operating system)

Thank you

Thanks a lot for the reply! Sorry for the question (is my first pc), how do I check the driver and software version of the motherboard?
You have to download all of the latest versions directly from Gigabyte, your motherboard's product page will have a downloads/support section with the available downloads.

The latest BIOS version will also be located there. To install/update the BIOS you usually have two methods; one is to copy it to a USB drive and install it directly from within the BIOS, another is usually to use a Gigabyte utility from within Windows you will have to download an install.

Also, if needed, how do I install something from the BIOS? (I mean without an operating system)...
you already stated:
I installed Windows in the only HDD recognized so I have access to it, but I need to install it on the SSD.
you will have to use Windows from the HD it is currently installed on and then clone or reinstall the OS to the SSD after it is recognized.

have you tried changing SATA Mode Selection from AHCI? it is the 2nd line of the BIOS page you have shown in your image?

Reactions: xLunatica
Feb 9, 2020
You have to download all of the latest versions directly from Gigabyte, your motherboard's product page will have a downloads/support section with the available downloads.
I installed from Windows the Gigabyte APP and downloaded the suggested stuff. Then it asked me to restart. Now it's stuck in the booting screen (Logo Gigabyte + Windows wheel spinning) since 30minutes.
Should I worry?

have you tried changing SATA Mode Selection from AHCI? it is the 2nd line of the BIOS page you have shown in your image?
Yes I tried to put the other one but nothing changed when I did it...

But a good thing, I went to the Gigabyte website, downloaded the LAN drivers and now internet is working.

I installed from Windows the Gigabyte APP and downloaded the suggested stuff...
You have installed the latest BIOS, SATA RAID/AHCI and Chipset drivers from the Z390 GAMING X > Support > Downloads page and nothing changed in regards to the SSD?
...But a good thing, I went to the Gigabyte website, downloaded the LAN drivers and now internet is working...
at least one good step in the right direction

Feb 9, 2020
You have installed the latest BIOS, SATA RAID/AHCI and Chipset drivers from the Z390 GAMING X > Support > Downloads page and nothing changed in regards to the SSD?
at least one good step in the right direction
The only driver I installed like were the Ethernet one.
I found on the same page where I could download all of these, an app called GIGABYTE APP CENTER that claims to install directly the needed drivers.
After using this software I rebooted and the PC got stuck in the booting for more than 2 hours. Nothing was happening, nothing was installing.
I turned off the pc, then turned on again and windows started normally. Still no ssd detected. Later, sometimes when I tried to boot the pc, was stucking into an infinite windows loading and sometimes not. I formatted everything.

One thing I notice (weird) is that in the Device Manager, the motherboard info was not there, where it should have been, under System Devices.

did the APP claim to have updated the BIOS to the latest version? if there is a common software issue with this board, this is where it usually will be fixed by the manufacturer.
since it seems to have not installed correctly, causing the Windows load problem, you should download the needed BIOS & drivers yourself, as I have previously stated.
if the drivers for this board aren't preloaded by Microsoft then the OS has no way to know which board you are using. Windows Update may solve this or downloading and installing the Gigabyte drivers yourself.
download the latest version of every driver they have available for this board and install all of them. do not trust their APP to do it this time.

if still no luck;
you should probably contact Gigabyte at this point and see if their support team has any solution for you. instead of going through all of this they will more than likely send you a certified working refurbished board of the same model.

Solution
Feb 9, 2020
download the latest version of every driver they have available for this board and install all of them. do not trust their APP to do it this time.

if still no luck;
you should probably contact Gigabyte at this point and see if their support team has any solution for you. instead of going through all of this they will more than likely send you a certified working refurbished board of the same model.
UPDATE:
I brought the PC to the store and they said they made a mistake while connecting the cables of two disks.
That's why they weren't recognized.
Thanks a lot for the help anyway, I guess it's solved.