[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z590 will not display POST/BIOS screens but loads direct into Windows even after CMOS reset

Oct 13, 2021
The first time I powered on this PC it displayed the POST screen, I was able to boot into BIOS and got Windows 10 installed. Since then it displays a black screen during POST and doesn't display anything until the Windows login screen. If I hit DELETE during the blank screen it does seem to enter the BIOS settings but nothing is displayed and it will stay blank until turned off.

The monitor is hooked up via HDMI to the GPU. Here is the computer hardware:
  • Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte Z590 AORUS PRO AX ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Team T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
  • Silicon Power P34A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB GAMING OC Video Card
I have done a lot of searching and found that people that experienced similar problems reset their CMOS. I did that last night and the POST/BIOS screens actually worked! I checked some settings, made sure fast boot was turned off and thought it would be good. Wrong.

Again it will not display the POST/BIOS screens and no matter what I have tried I can not fix it. I have tried the following and none resulted in a POST/BIOS screen display:
  • Reset the CMOS by switching the power off, unplugging the PSU, hold the power button down three times for 30 seconds and removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. I have tried this 3 times and even waited 4 hours with the CMOS battery out.
  • Bullet 1 + remove the GPU and put it back. Reconnected monitor to GPU hdmi. No luck.
  • Bullet 1 + remove the GPU and connect the monitor to the mobo DisplayPort. I received no display when this happen but can hear windows sounds if type something.
  • Bullet 1 + use a screwdriver to short the CMOS pins.
  • Bullet 1 + every possible GPU video output port to the monitor
  • Bullet 1 + 1 ram stick
  • Bullet 1 + moving the ssd from the 2nd to 3rd m2
After all of these attempts the CMOS does seems to reset because the machine cycles on 2 or so times while the led boot/drive lights blink, but the POST/BIOS screen is black and nothing appears on the monitor until the Windows login screen (besides bullet 3 nothing appears on the display when using just the mobo DP). The machine operates in windows just fine but I really need to access the BIOS and have been at this for days. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem that could share what they did? Thank you for any help. You are my hero, the wind beneath my wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18000rpm
Solution
I believe I have it fixed "permanently" now, or I hope. I did the following:

1. Unplugged psu, removed SSD and insert Ubuntu install USB
  2. Turn PC on, allow Ubuntu USB to load and shutdown (do not install Ubuntu
  3. Put SSD back in PC, turn PC on, BIOS/POST appears, enter BOOT menu
  4. Installed Ubuntu on it's own partition of SSD
  5. Now every time I turn on my PC it displays the POST/BIOS screens prior to asking me what OS to boot to.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix and it works for others. I need Ubuntu installed so it is perfect for me but not sure if everyone will be in the same boat.
Oct 14, 2021
I have the exact same problem, with a Gigabyte Z270X motherboard. Tried all the different fixes and just like the OP, I managed to get into the BIOS once after I used Gigabyte APP Center to update the BIOS. I then set my UEFI and Secure Boot settings in the BIOS correctly and now those show up correctly under System Information.

BUT I forgot to enable TPM. And for the life of me I can no longer see the BIOS screens no matter what I tried (reset CMOS, remove battery, try to enable backup BIOS, remove GPU, use integrated graphics etc etc). When powering on the screen is completely blank until I see the Windows background wallpaper and my login (I don't even see the Windows logo).

If I press DEL during boot it no longer goes into Windows but hangs forever so I think I am actually in the BIOS page, but I can't see a thing.

Reactions: JoyLighting
Oct 14, 2021
If the goal is getting into UEFI(BIOS) settings, why not type “UEFI” in the search bar and select advanced startup options, then restart and boot to UEFI? It should act like that if fast boot is on by default.

That doesn't work either. I can select UEFI Firmware Settings from the Troubleshooting menu, and it appears to go into BIOS but I cannot see a thing. The only reason I think it is in the BIOS is because it doesn't boot into Windows.

Oct 13, 2021
That doesn't work either. I can select UEFI Firmware Settings from the Troubleshooting menu, and it appears to go into BIOS but I cannot see a thing. The only reason I think it is in the BIOS is because it doesn't boot into Windows.

Yep. sounds like we are experiencing the same issue. If I use the Windows UEFI firmware troubleshoot thing it just restarts to a blank screen and I have to manually shut down.

I did find maybe a solution late last night. Kinda crazy one, maybe it will work for you though. I followed these steps:
  1. With PC turned off remove m2 SSD drive
  2. Plug Ubuntu USB boot drive into pc
  3. Restart PC and it will boot a temporary Ubuntu os (do not install real Ubuntu)
  4. Shutdown PC, remove Ubuntu boot USB and put m2 SSD drive back into PC
  5. Start PC and POST/BIOS will display
This worked for me but afterwards the POST/BIOS screen would not display again lol. I am not sure what BIOS setting I missed but there has to be one I can change to fix this.

Oct 14, 2021
Great find! Are you still going to try and see what settings would permanently allow you to enter the BIOS with Secure Boot, UEFI and TPM all enabled? If you do manage it will be greatly appreciated if you can share the settings or screenshots!

BTW what version of the BIOS are you using?

Also, I managed to enter the BIOS by using the APP Center BIOS update (which showed F8 as the latest version even though I was running F9d which was available on the Gigabyte website). But it only worked once.

Oct 13, 2021
Great find! Are you still going to try and see what settings would permanently allow you to enter the BIOS with Secure Boot, UEFI and TPM all enabled? If you do manage it will be greatly appreciated if you can share the settings or screenshots!

BTW what version of the BIOS are you using?

Also, I managed to enter the BIOS by using the APP Center BIOS update (which showed F8 as the latest version even though I was running F9d which was available on the Gigabyte website). But it only worked once.

Yeah, I really need to permanently see and enter the BIOS but I am at a loss for what settings to change at this point. I have Fast Boot off, CSM off and the Internal Graphics disabled.

I have not tried enabling Secure Boot or TPM. Do you think that might help or do you know any other options worth trying?

I also used the Gigabyte App Center program and updated to f7, but never was able to enter the BIOS after doing so. Funny though I just checked the website and f7 doesn't appear any more. I just upgraded yesterday too.

Oct 13, 2021
I believe I have it fixed "permanently" now, or I hope. I did the following:

1. Unplugged psu, removed SSD and insert Ubuntu install USB
  2. Turn PC on, allow Ubuntu USB to load and shutdown (do not install Ubuntu
  3. Put SSD back in PC, turn PC on, BIOS/POST appears, enter BOOT menu
  4. Installed Ubuntu on it's own partition of SSD
  5. Now every time I turn on my PC it displays the POST/BIOS screens prior to asking me what OS to boot to.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix and it works for others. I need Ubuntu installed so it is perfect for me but not sure if everyone will be in the same boat.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 14, 2021
  1. With PC turned off remove m2 SSD drive
  2. Plug Ubuntu USB boot drive into pc
  3. Restart PC and it will boot a temporary Ubuntu os (do not install real Ubuntu)
  4. Shutdown PC, remove Ubuntu boot USB and put m2 SSD drive back into PC
  5. Start PC and POST/BIOS will display

Tried this and it didn't work for me. Still blank screen. I give up. Looks like I'll have to replace my MB and CPU if I decide to upgrade to Windows 11. Bummer!

Please update here if you have any new findings, I'm watching this thread.

Oct 13, 2021
Tried this and it didn't work for me. Still blank screen. I give up. Looks like I'll have to replace my MB and CPU if I decide to upgrade to Windows 11. Bummer!

Please update here if you have any new findings, I'm watching this thread.

I am not sure if this would make a difference but I switched from using the middle M2 slot to the bottom M2 slot (the one closest to the boards bottom edge). When I was able to get the BIOS to display it was always after trying to boot with no SSD.