Question Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 slightly bent pin

snowwichan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2017
Hello.

I'm new to motherboard bent pins. So I have been using this motherboard for a year (since Dec 2021 until now). and I've just realized there's a bent pin on the motherboard that is shown below in the images.

I realized it after using it for a year and when I was about to upgrade my CPU to 13th gen 2 weeks ago, the motherboard pin was already bent when I took out the old CPU.

I ignored it, inserted my new CPU, plugged everything up and everything is fine even in benchmark and gaming activities.

But I have a bit of fear that it might break eventually? should I get this fix? (I don't know how to) or just leave it meaning If it can last for 4-5 years I don't really mind it.

The images were taken today but the bent pin has been the same since the 2 weeks ago (I forgot to take the picture before).

There has never been any issues on the daily uses even until now but I'm afraid again that it might break someday so I decided to take a look again.

0.jpeg.b76f07960a4d1122a166a1895738ba60.jpeg

1.jpeg.ca38726cdf250b89f1e36fec2e56c10d.jpeg

Solution
You are ok to do nothing.
The function of each pin is murky but very often ram related.
The bent pin may control a function that you do not use.
Perhaps addressing ram higher than 128gb for example.

I would be inclined to bend it back. Just me.
That is simple enough to do.
But, there is also a risk of causing damage and rendering a perfectly good motherboard to go bad.
Every time you remove and replace a cpu in the socket you can potentially cause a problem.
I think the sockets are designed for only up to 15 insertions.
You are ok to do nothing.
The function of each pin is murky but very often ram related.
The bent pin may control a function that you do not use.
Perhaps addressing ram higher than 128gb for example.

I would be inclined to bend it back. Just me.
That is simple enough to do.
But, there is also a risk of causing damage and rendering a perfectly good motherboard to go bad.
Every time you remove and replace a cpu in the socket you can potentially cause a problem.
I think the sockets are designed for only up to 15 insertions.

Solution

snowwichan

Honorable
Jan 26, 2017
After been using it for many months on gaming, editing and benchmarks. There hasn't been any problems so far.

Even if it might be a DDR pin for one of the spare slots, I have no plans to increase my RAM size further.

So I decided to continue using it without fixing the pin at all.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited: