Question Gigabyte Z690 potential DDR5 problems and warranty question.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello, I recently purchased a Gigabyte z690 Aorus pro motherboard with CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 5600mhz memory and I've seen a lot of posts regarding boot looping problems with setups that use up all 4 DIMM slots with 6000mhz or higher with XMP. I'm worried that if I get my board and install everything the system would also boot loop even with only 2 sticks installed under 6000mhz and without XMP, in that case a bios flash is needed, but wouldn't that void the warranty? I know i'm already thinking of worst case scenario but this ram's module P/N is on the QVL list (except for the Ver 4.43 at the end which I can't see anywhere on the store page itself). So what do you guys think I should do in that situation in terms of troubleshooting before RMA because if I RMA, i'll just get another board with the same problem. A lot of the reviews I just notice talk about how they had to update the bios because the mobo comes with an old bios version so since this step seems like an inevitability, I want to know what impact could that have on the RMA process. Thank you.

Edit: apparently there is also a problem with the board where you can't install windows on an m.2 without a bios update...
Also can you guys help me make sure that this ram is indeed on the QVL and works in Dual Channel? because I see it says SS and not DS while at the same time saying that it has support for two memory sockets, does that mean only 1 stick will work?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
in that case a bios flash is needed, but wouldn't that void the warranty?

Firmware updates will not void the warranty. Be it MoBo and BIOS update, or gaming mouse and it's firmware update.

Also can you guys help me make sure that this ram is indeed on the QVL and works in Dual Channel?

Part number of your RAM is? Since there are 6 different Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x 16GB 6000 Mhz RAM sets out there.
So i can look it up from your MoBo memory QVL.

because I see it says SS and not DS

SS = Single Sided
DS = Double Sided
Two different forms of RAM.

while at the same time saying that it has support for two memory sockets, does that mean only 1 stick will work?

Support for two sockets = this RAM works when one or two sticks are installed. But it may not work, when all 4 RAM slots are populated on MoBo with the same RAM.

A lot of the reviews I just notice talk about how they had to update the bios because the mobo comes with an old bios version so since this step seems like an inevitability, I want to know what impact could that have on the RMA process.

BIOS update, if it happens to be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), will brick your MoBo. Due to this, update BIOS only when you know, for a fact, that the new BIOS version fixes the specific issue you have. Also, when you do end up corrupting your BIOS, some MoBos do have BIOS rollback feature, that can save you. Else-ways, RMA would be only option and here, i'm not sure if interrupted BIOS update, and the corruption of BIOS, is covered under warranty. You need to read your MoBo warranty terms for that.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Firmware updates will not void the warranty. Be it MoBo and BIOS update, or gaming mouse and it's firmware update.

Part number of your RAM is? Since there are 6 different Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x 16GB 6000 Mhz RAM sets out there.
So i can look it up from your MoBo memory QVL.

SS = Single Sided
DS = Double Sided
Two different forms of RAM.

Support for two sockets = this RAM works when one or two sticks are installed. But it may not work, when all 4 RAM slots are populated on MoBo with the same RAM.

BIOS update, if it happens to be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), will brick your MoBo. Due to this, update BIOS only when you know, for a fact, that the new BIOS version fixes the specific issue you have. Also, when you do end up corrupting your BIOS, some MoBos do have BIOS rollback feature, that can save you. Else-ways, RMA would be only option and here, i'm not sure if interrupted BIOS update, and the corruption of BIOS, is covered under warranty. You need to read your MoBo warranty terms for that.

Sorry, here is the model number (its 5600mhz by the way not 6000)
CMK32GX5M2B5600C36

Here is a link to the ram's store page
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NCNF2ZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Here is the exact motherboard
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-z690-aorus-pro/p/N82E16813145345?Item=N82E16813145345

If I ever need to rollback the bios, how do I do that on this board or does it even have that feature?

Last edited:

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
I also forgot to ask, if let’s say I put everything together and it doesn’t post, do I have to take everything out including the cpu to use Qflash or should I leave everything in there and just use the usb flash drive to update bios with the q flash button while it’s turned off but connected to the psu?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, here is the model number (its 5600mhz by the way not 6000)
CMK32GX5M2B5600C36

That specific RAM is listed in your MoBo memory QVL,
link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x/support#support-memsup

Just use filters, e.g 5600 as "speed" and Corsair as "module supplier" to narrow down the list.

--

However, based on the listed timings in memory QVL, of 36-36-36-76, Gigabyte got the RAM running at 4800 Mhz. For 5600 Mhz, timings are 40-40-40-77. <- Latter is listed on RAM specs page,
link: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...y---Black/p/CMK32GX5M2B5600C36#tab-tech-specs

--

Also, on RAM specs page, there isn't listed if the RAM is SS or DS, and with heatsinks on, i can't tell it visually either. But given that the exact part number is listed in memory QVL and it is identified as SS RAM, i think it is SS RAM.

Btw, diff between SS and DS is, that on SS, all individual RAM modules are on the same, single side of the RAM stick, while for DS RAM, RAM modules are on the both sides of the RAM PCB.

--

Now, native speed for DDR5 is 4800 Mhz and if you were to use native speeds, without enabling XMP, are the issues going away?
If so, Gigabyte has the following to say (on the same page as i linked):
When running XMP at DDR5 5000 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities.

--

If I ever need to rollback the bios, how do I do that on this board or does it even have that feature?

As far as i can tell, your MoBo doesn't have BIOS flashback button, nor dual-BIOS button.

Some MoBos have either one, or both. This makes it convenient to either roll back to previous BIOS version, or use 2nd, built-in BIOS, if 1st one happens to get corrupted.

I also forgot to ask, if let’s say I put everything together and it doesn’t post, do I have to take everything out including the cpu to use Qflash or should I leave everything in there and just use the usb flash drive to update bios with the q flash button while it’s turned off but connected to the psu?

If you use Q-Flash option, you only need to connect 24-pin and 8-pin power cables to MoBo. There's no requirement to install anything else to the MoBo.

From here,
link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x#kf
scroll down quite a bit (7th white dot) to "Ultra Durable" section. And select "Q-Flash Plus" tab. It shows you the Q-Flash way of updating BIOS.

Q-Flash Plus

Update the BIOS easily without installing the CPU, memory and graphics card.

With GIGABYTE Q-Flash Plus, you don’t need to install the CPU, memory and graphics card nor enter the BIOS menu to flash the BIOS. Just download and save a new BIOS file (rename to gigabyte.bin) on the USB flash drive, then press the dedicated Q-Flash Plus button and you’re good to go!

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
That specific RAM is listed in your MoBo memory QVL,
link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x/support#support-memsup

Just use filters, e.g 5600 as "speed" and Corsair as "module supplier" to narrow down the list.

--

However, based on the listed timings in memory QVL, of 36-36-36-76, Gigabyte got the RAM running at 4800 Mhz. For 5600 Mhz, timings are 40-40-40-77. <- Latter is listed on RAM specs page,
link: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...y---Black/p/CMK32GX5M2B5600C36#tab-tech-specs

--

Also, on RAM specs page, there isn't listed if the RAM is SS or DS, and with heatsinks on, i can't tell it visually either. But given that the exact part number is listed in memory QVL and it is identified as SS RAM, i think it is SS RAM.

Btw, diff between SS and DS is, that on SS, all individual RAM modules are on the same, single side of the RAM stick, while for DS RAM, RAM modules are on the both sides of the RAM PCB.

--

Now, native speed for DDR5 is 4800 Mhz and if you were to use native speeds, without enabling XMP, are the issues going away?
If so, Gigabyte has the following to say (on the same page as i linked):

--

As far as i can tell, your MoBo doesn't have BIOS flashback button, nor dual-BIOS button.

Some MoBos have either one, or both. This makes it convenient to either roll back to previous BIOS version, or use 2nd, built-in BIOS, if 1st one happens to get corrupted.

If you use Q-Flash option, you only need to connect 24-pin and 8-pin power cables to MoBo. There's no requirement to install anything else to the MoBo.

From here,
link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x#kf
scroll down quite a bit (7th white dot) to "Ultra Durable" section. And select "Q-Flash Plus" tab. It shows you the Q-Flash way of updating BIOS.

Do you recommend to qflash the bios to the latest version before I even try to assemble all the parts and put the pc together in the first place or should I try it out and see if it works with w/e version of bios it comes with? Does it matter if I qflash while some components and case cables are connected? im asking that because I've seen a review of this motherboard saying that you shouldn't flash the bios while having other components installed otherwise it won't work and to only have the 24pin/8pin connected and nothing else, is that true? I wanted to test it out first to see if it boots with just the base settings and without xmp enabled before flashing but I also don't want to build the pc then just end up stripping the motherboard out again just to flash and then reinstall to retest..

do you also think it’s possible since this mobo had neither bios switch or flashback to ask gigabyte to accept and rma and send me a new one with the latest bios version instead of doing it myself?

also, how did you find out that gigabyte got the c40 timings running at 5600 but not my c36 version?

Thank you so much for your help by the way, you’ve been very patient with me and sorry if I’m asking silly questions, I’m just anxious and worried about this whole thing.

Last edited:

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
I also had a lot of trouble finding any memory kits out there in stock and for a non scalper level prices besides this one that is actually on the QVL list. Do you know of any ram on the list that costs abou the same or less than the one I bought? (Around 170)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but I also don't want to build the pc then just end up stripping the motherboard out again just to flash and then reinstall to retest..

Breadboard the MoBo. It's the easiest way.
Meaning that you put your MoBo on any cardboard box. <- This way, it's far easier to switch out components.

It should look similar to this:
(my Skylake build breadboarded, just after i bought it)

IzNDS0s.jpg

With breadboarding, you can install CPU, CPU cooler, RAM (GPU too, if you have F-suffix CPU), connect monitor, KB and mouse and power on the build. Breadboarding is very convenient way to test if your hardware works. Since if it doesn't it's easy to disassemble it and RMA any components needed, without you needing it to pull it out from the PC case.

Once you've verified that build works, then you can install the MoBo to PC case and do all other cable management.

Do you recommend to qflash the bios to the latest version before I even try to assemble all the parts and put the pc together in the first place or should I try it out and see if it works with w/e version of bios it comes with?

Due to the risk of BIOS corruption, i'd assemble the build (breadboard way) and look if i can get into BIOS. Once in BIOS, you can check the BIOS version and if it is even needed to update it. Btw, if you don't have any storage drives connected, MoBo should go into BIOS automatically, after POST. (Mine did, and mine is somewhat old, Z170 chipset.)

do you also think it’s possible since this mobo had neither bios switch or flashback to ask gigabyte to accept and rma and send me a new one with the latest bios version instead of doing it myself?

Regarding BIOS update and if you're afraid of doing it yourself, you can haul your hardware to any PC repair shop and pay them little to do it for you. Since if they F up, it's their responsibility to get you new/working hardware.

also, how did you find out that gigabyte got the c40 timings running at 5600 but not my c36 version?

Didn't say that Gigabyte got the RAM running at 5600 Mhz with 40-40-40-77. <- These timings are listed on RAM specs, on Corsair site. While what Gigabyte listed, was default 36-36-36-76 timings with default JEDEC speed of 4800 Mhz. For what i can tell, Gigabyte didn't get the XMP to hold, running RAM at 5600 Mhz. Instead, they got it running at 4800 Mhz.

I also had a lot of trouble finding any memory kits out there in stock and for a non scalper level prices besides this one that is actually on the QVL list. Do you know of any ram on the list that costs abou the same or less than the one I bought? (Around 170)

Well, you did go with Intel 12th gen CPU, which requires DDR5 RAM. And going with very expensive DDR5 RAM, at current date, is not worthwhile,
further reading: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ddr5-vs-ddr4-is-it-time-to-upgrade-your-ram

The price of 2x 16GB, DDR5 RAM, does start from $/£ ~170. And that is not "scalper level prices". This is normal for DDR5, due to the extra manufacturing cost associated with DDR5. DDR4, 2x 16GB would start at $/£ ~90. Which you could've went for, if you would've bought Intel 11th gen CPU and MoBo that supports DDR4. Latest tech, inherently, costs more, since supply is short and demand is high.