Question Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - - - orange "VGA" light even though PC & monitor work fine ?

Apr 27, 2024
This is a really weird thing (and yes I have updated the BIOS). Whenever I do a fresh boot the PC actually boots up successfully (no issues) but the VGA warning light on the motherboard remains solid orange. If I then restart the PC, load into BIOS, press to exit bios and it restarts windows that way then windows again boots up but this time the VGA warning light goes off. Another thing the ARGB controller on my PC case doesn't seem to be working properly (last night...fresh build...all the fan LEDs lit up. today? nothing. they are all spinning fine though). The 4 pin is connected to Sys Fan 1 and the 3 pin to D_LED1 (I didn't do anything with the other 3rd VDG header as idk what to do with that). Also the RGB controller remote doesn't do anything either but yesterday all the LEDs were on and working (only the remote control wasn't doing anything). Turned PC off, went to sleep, turned it on today and no LED lights at all (no amount of restarting will turn them back on).

I also did notice yesterday when it was a fresh install that on the very first startup (before windows was installed) the PC would do this boot loop thing where it would turn itself off and on about 3-5 times and then successfully boot into BIOS (it seems to have stopped that now the BIOS is updated and windows is installed...now it boots straight up first time). But every fresh boot (no restart or wake from sleep) it boots up but the orange VGA light stays on until I either press the Reset SW button on my front panel OR restart through windows, boot into BIOS, press to exit bios and when it restarts then the VGA light goes off.

Performance wise though I've noticed no issues yet though?
And the lack of LED lights, while not affecting performance, is much less visually pleasing.

UPDATE: Can confirm I don't even need to boot into BIOS and restart for VGA light to go off, I just need to restart. Basically first boot the VGA light stays on but if I restart once it's booted it goes off? Very bizarre. Any ideas?

As for the LED lights idk what happened to them. The case btw is IONZ KZ-VF Ultra Aether (a third party relatively small business but nice looking case). It has it's own built in RGB controller which I've connected all the case fans to (there are 4). I've also connected the Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 3 PIN connectors to this RGB controller (the 4 pins are connected using the included header and they are connected directly into CPU Fan header). As for the RGB controller all case fans and argb 3 pins are connected to it, the controller itself has 4 cables...a 4 pin which I've connected to Sys Fan 1, a 3 pin which I've connected to D_LED1, A VDG which I haven't connected because I don't know what to do with that? And a sata which I've connected to the power supply. Like I said yesterday the LEDs were all on (just weren't responding to the supplied remote control). But today they are all off (the fans themselves are spinning normally however just no lights on).

Last edited:
Solution
Fixed it I believe. The issue with the ARGB lights was one of the fans was faulty (although it was spinning fine it had faulty ARGB) and was causing the others to flash and it must have blown the hub. Replaced the hub, noticed the ARGB flashing, unplugged fans one by one until they were stable. Eventually the case manufacturer sent me a replacement fan and now all the LEDs work brilliantly. Coincidentally the VGA light issue on startup is no longer an issue (maybe the faulty fan ARGB was short circuiting something idk). But all is working fine since I replaced it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

This is a really weird thing (and yes I have updated the BIOS).
You forgot to mention the specs to your build, apart from mentioning the make and model of the case and motherboard. You should include the rest of your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you updated the BIOS like you've stated above, did you clear the CMOS?

Apr 27, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

This is a really weird thing (and yes I have updated the BIOS).
You forgot to mention the specs to your build, apart from mentioning the make and model of the case and motherboard. You should include the rest of your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you updated the BIOS like you've stated above, did you clear the CMOS?
My bad, sorry it's a new build (my first actually after returning a prebuilt that exploded lol...stupid GameMax PSU).

SPECS for this build are:

i7 13700KF
Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M.2 SSD
MSI Ventus 2x OC 4070 Ti SUPER
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
BIOS version: FJa
PSU: Corsair RMe 1000W 80+ Gold
Monitor: AOC 24G2SPU (also LG C2)
Chassis (case?): IONZ KZ-VF Ultra Aether
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 Intel XMP

All parts brand new. Supplied by Amazon.
Did I clear CMOS? Sorry I'm confused now.

Benchmarks are good. 3D mark good, Cinebench R23 good. OCCT stability tests good. So not noticed any performance issues (yet) just that the RGB lights WERE working last night but aren't now? And having to restart after a fresh boot for the VGA warning light to go off...even though it's already booted up fine (no idea why the light stays on until I restart...very odd that).

Apr 27, 2024
Fixed it I believe. The issue with the ARGB lights was one of the fans was faulty (although it was spinning fine it had faulty ARGB) and was causing the others to flash and it must have blown the hub. Replaced the hub, noticed the ARGB flashing, unplugged fans one by one until they were stable. Eventually the case manufacturer sent me a replacement fan and now all the LEDs work brilliantly. Coincidentally the VGA light issue on startup is no longer an issue (maybe the faulty fan ARGB was short circuiting something idk). But all is working fine since I replaced it.

Solution

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Have you installed all motherboard and system drivers? Since it's a Gigabyte board, install Gigabyte Control Center and see if it can find any updates, including aRGB control stuff.
Skip Norton :rolleyes: Gigabyte always tries to suggest it among all the other software but Norton is ... well, there's better.

Seems the issue is fixed for now, but if it returns check motherboard drivers.