Question Gigabyte z790 Aorus Elite X Wifi7 + Intel i9 14900KF = Solid Yellow CPU led - no boot/post

Sep 15, 2024
Hello everyone,
after many years, I'm about to assemble a new PC, so I'm a bit out of practice...

Components:
Plus a 3.5" HDD, two SSDs, and another M.2 drive.

The problem is this:

I've installed only the motherboard, CPU, and PSU, but the CPU LED on the motherboard is solid yellow. If I'm not mistaken, this means it doesn't recognize the CPU.

According to the Gigabyte website (here), the CPU support is as follows:

Cattura.png

Honestly, I don't understand if it's supported or not. It seems that only the GPU is not supported. However, I've seen builds around with this motherboard and CPU combo. Additionally, even MSI’s competitor shows the same notation, and there are videos on YouTube showing the motherboard + CPU combo working.

I performed a Q-flash of the motherboard to the latest BIOS (with CPU and RAM installed only).

I opened a ticket with Gigabyte, but... no response.

I thought it might not be recognizing the CPU only in the graphics component, so I installed the GPU, but without any change.

The RAM seems to be supported (link]).

So, I thought it might be a faulty PSU. Using a CPU tester, I measured the values, and they are as follows:

IMG-20240915-105645-898-1.jpg

Sometimes the PG is at 110.

Anyway, we are outside or at the edge of the specifications provided by Corsair on this page:

PG values are usually considered normal if they fall within the range of 100ms - 500ms, but can be lower than 100ms at times. 0ms PG values would be considered a failing PSU.

Could this be the issue?

Or is the CPU really faulty?

I appreciate any possible insights.

Thank you
Gekomax

Last edited:

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
Hello everyone,
after many years, I'm about to assemble a new PC, so I'm a bit out of practice...

Components:

The problem is this:

I've installed only the motherboard, CPU, and PSU, but the CPU LED on the motherboard is solid yellow. If I'm not mistaken, this means it doesn't recognize the CPU.

Cattura.png

Honestly, I don't understand if it's supported or not. It seems that only the GPU is not supported. However, I've seen builds around with this motherboard and CPU combo. Additionally, even MSI’s competitor shows the same notation, and there are videos on YouTube showing the motherboard + CPU combo working.

I performed a Q-flash of the motherboard to the latest BIOS (with CPU and RAM installed only).

I thought it might not be recognizing the CPU only in the graphics component, so I installed the GPU, but without any change.

So, I thought it might be a faulty PSU. Using a CPU tester, I measured the values, and they are as follows:

Anyway, we are outside or at the edge of the specifications provided by Corsair on this page:

Could this be the issue?

Thank you
Gekomax

Hello everyone,

Components:

The problem is this:

Cattura.png

Could this be the issue?

Thank you
Gekomax
I don't really get it....
Is the CPU light still on after BIOS flashing?

Sep 15, 2024
were all of these products purchased new,
not used/refurbished/renewed?

is the system fully powering on, just with the CPU_LED warning and not showing any display?
yes, everything is new, nothing used/refurbished/renewed

The system looks powering correctly: fans and pump are spinning and the GPU turns on.

The display is completely black.

I event plugged a buzzer but it's quiet. I've got just the CPU led warning.

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
Nothing. I event tried to flash the F11 version but still got the warning and black screen

I checked again the power connectors, but they looks okay to me.

If I did not remeber that wrong, for those motherboards that supports no CPU BIOS updating, you should do it with motherboard and PSU only, which means that you should not install a cpu, nor a ram when you are flashing the bios. You just need to do it with PSU and motherboard. Otherwise once it is boot up it will straight away start POST process. Better you check the manu again to see if it works like this or not and try it again.
Once that is done and still does not work, remove the battery, plug it back. If still does not work, check the LGA socekt to see if there is any bent pin

Reactions: drjohnnyfever
Sep 15, 2024
don't just look at them.
physically reseat them and make sure they are seated properly.
I did it 20 times at least, I was tempted to start hammering them..
Can it be the CPU wrong direction?
I don't think it's possible, CPU can be mounted in just one direction.
If I did not remeber that wrong, for those motherboards that supports no CPU BIOS updating, you should do it with motherboard and PSU only, which means that you should not install a cpu, nor a ram when you are flashing the bios. You just need to do it with PSU and motherboard. Otherwise once it is boot up it will straight away start POST process. Better you check the manu again to see if it works like this or not and try it again.
Once that is done and still does not work, remove the battery, plug it back. If still does not work, check the LGA socekt to see if there is any bent pin
I will give a try. The manual don't say nothing about CPU installation. But says something I didn't do about connecting just one 12V power connector during Q-Flash plus operation:
Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector.
never did it, i will give another try.

I've carefully searched for bent pin but there aren't

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
THIS is excellent advice.

I would definitely try to use the Flash Bios feature if you have it without the CPU being in. I did this when I build my sons gamer about 8 months ago. I was a little worried, initially, but I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to do it with the MSi board I used. After flashing it to the newest bios, I put the i5-14600K in and booted right up. No issues. Definitely watch the videos on how to do it for your board. My board was 14th gen compatible, but only after I did the update using the Flash feature and it specifically stated to do it without the CPU installed.

edit - I just checked - the MOBO I did this on is an MSi Pro Z790-A WiFi board...

Sep 15, 2024
THIS is excellent advice.

I would definitely try to use the Flash Bios feature if you have it without the CPU being in. I did this when I build my sons gamer about 8 months ago. I was a little worried, initially, but I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to do it with the MSi board I used. After flashing it to the newest bios, I put the i5-14600K in and booted right up. No issues. Definitely watch the videos on how to do it for your board. My board was 14th gen compatible, but only after I did the update using the Flash feature and it specifically stated to do it without the CPU installed.

edit - I just checked - the MOBO I did this on is an MSi Pro Z790-A WiFi board...

just tried to flash with no ram and CPU but still no luck

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
just tried to flash with no ram and CPU but still no luck
Then go back to the manual. make sure that that light is for CPU rather than RAM.
I mean, the chance for you to have a faulty CPU and CPU socket is low. However, for DDR5, the chance for you to have problem with RAM is high.
If that is RAM problem, just try to install one ram first to see if it boots up or not

Sep 15, 2024
Then go back to the manual. make sure that that light is for CPU rather than RAM.
I mean, the chance for you to have a faulty CPU and CPU socket is low. However, for DDR5, the chance for you to have problem with RAM is high.
If that is RAM problem, just try to install one ram first to see if it boots up or not
unfortunatelly I already read the manual that say pratically nothing usefull just:

If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet.
and that is the CPU led, it's written on the board.

I tried to place the (unique) 32gb ram module I bought in all slots but nothing changes.

Besides, the module looks to be compatible according to the Gigabyte support web page:

dram.png

It's "a bit" frustating, I spent a lot of money for some useless garbage