Question Gigabyte Z790 UD AC - - - - error when trying to update BIOS to F10e ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
FWIW the non-MAX board doesn't have the shared PCIe 5.0 M.2 instead using the dedicated PCIe 4.0 lanes. It loses WIFI 7 for WIFI 6E and has slightly lower maximum supported memory speeds, but costs a fair bit less.
Good catch! I didn't notice i picked the wrong Tomahawk. I didn't want the MAX board even if it's better.
The non-MAX is well equipped to handle an i9 and that was my consideration.

Thanks a lot!
I have edited the above post now.

Reactions: thestryker

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Ok, revised build. This is a 13900, nonK. Cheaper, cannot be overclocked. Maybe 1-3% slower than the 14900 but a fine pairing for the 4090. The motherboard is a non z790 model, and isn't completely crap for an i9.
The rest is slightly modified to fit the Canadian prices/availability.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900 2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($564.96 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($244.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X RGB OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2398.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX PX-1200 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($392.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $4078.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-12 00:17 EDT-0400

The 13900K / z790 motherboard version:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($698.98 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($299.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X RGB OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2398.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX PX-1200 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($392.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $4267.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-12 02:11 EDT-0400

You'd have to pay another $50 for the 14900K over the 13900K. The performance difference between them is not worth $50, so only buy a 14900K if you just really want to.
The MSi z790 Tomahawk is fine for either gen.
(you may need to flash the motherboard. It can be flashed without a CPU, just power and a USB stick.)

The 14900KS is another microscopic gain in performance that is not worth paying for unless you just stubborny need the best and nothing but the best.
If you do want that CPU, you'll need a more expensive motherboard and PSU.
I don't think it's neccessary for gaming but i'll help you find it, if you want it.
I'll keep that in mind if the replacement PC is creating problems again. Since I'll have another 30 days to return it.

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
New PC came in today, same specs as last one but, they installed F10e BIOS on it. No issues whatsoever out of the box. I turned on boost power limits (enabled) and set the RAM at 5600 instead of 6000. Otherwise, only Gsync creates issues in games. Seems like that BIOS was really the culprit. I've emailed them to ask for the F10 non beta version.

ABS is looking with gigabyte for the latest version.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0
May 3, 2024
New PC came in today, same specs as last one but, they installed F10e BIOS on it. No issues whatsoever out of the box. I turned on boost power limits (enabled) and set the RAM at 5600 instead of 6000. Otherwise, only Gsync creates issues in games. Seems like that BIOS was really the culprit. I've emailed them to ask for the F10 non beta version.

ABS is looking with gigabyte for the latest version.
Just updated to bios F10 download from the gigabyte website. Inside the files is a photo with instructions. You have to set the thumb drive as the boot drive wait for it to go into efi/shell mode. then I had to select FS1(depends I tried them all till it worked) then type flash.nsh and restart the system and it installed.
Didn’t solve my issues most games still crash I used the intel software and it used AI to change the clock. Now it just crashes here and there but still an unacceptable amount. Have you tried Grayzone warfare. I believe compatibility with UE5 is a big issue

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Just updated to bios F10 download from the gigabyte website. Inside the files is a photo with instructions. You have to set the thumb drive as the boot drive wait for it to go into efi/shell mode. then I had to select FS1(depends I tried them all till it worked) then type flash.nsh and restart the system and it installed.
Didn’t solve my issues most games still crash I used the intel software and it used AI to change the clock. Now it just crashes here and there but still an unacceptable amount. Have you tried Grayzone warfare. I believe compatibility with UE5 is a big issue
I'll wait to see if ABS can send me the file today, if not I'll try your way. Currently I'm not having any issues other than my start up monitor issue. Where my main monitor sometimes wont work properly and I have to plug unplug a couple times. I'll have to find a fix for this one day....

I don't play grayzone yet but all of my UE5 issues have been fixed by turning off gsync on global settings. Make sure resize bar is on too. That created the memory issues in UE5 games.

May 3, 2024
I'll wait to see if ABS can send me the file today, if not I'll try your way. Currently I'm not having any issues other than my start up monitor issue. Where my main monitor sometimes wont work properly and I have to plug unplug a couple times. I'll have to find a fix for this one day....

I don't play grayzone yet but all of my UE5 issues have been fixed by turning off gsync on global settings. Make sure resize bar is on too. That created the memory issues in UE5 games.
Could be some of your drivers need to be updated. I use driver easy I pay for it but it does all the updates I don’t normally see. Did you mean turn off resize bar? If you want I can email you the F10e file or talk you through the process to update to F10 non beta version on discord.

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Could be some of your drivers need to be updated. I use driver easy I pay for it but it does all the updates I don’t normally see. Did you mean turn off resize bar? If you want I can email you the F10e file or talk you through the process to update to F10 non beta version on discord.
no make sure re-size bar is turned on and g-sync off. A indie dev told me the gsync module is known to create crashing issues in UE5 games. I already have F10e installed on this PC and ABS said they'd try to send me the new file once they talk to gigabyte. If not I'll be back here if I can't make it work on my own.

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Turns out it was an intel issue. They found a error in the microcode screwing up with voltage for boost clocks on raptor lake i9s. They've given until july 19th for board to release bios updates.

Jun 8, 2024
Just got a new pre-built from ABS on new egg.
I usually build my own PCs but price wise, it was much cheaper to buy a pre-built
I've only heard good things bout ABS
The Mobo came with a February F9 bios.
I'm having issues with the CPU in some games, crashes and whatnot. Only way to fix it so far is to downclock it by x1 in intel app.

I saw the new BIOS adds support for the KS so thought maybe that would help. However, every time i tried to flash I got an error at 75% saying mismatch
I only found one version of that Mobo on their website followed the instruction and tried to flash through the BIOS, q flash.
Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Gigabyte Z790 UD AC
14900KS
gigabyte 4090 windforce V2
64gb TeamGroup Delta RGB DDR5 6000 MHz (2x32GB)
Kingston 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD
EKWB RGB 360MM AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU: ABS ATX 1000W 80+ Gold
Sorry to hear about the issues. It sounds like a BIOS update might help. Make sure you’re using the correct BIOS file for your exact motherboard model. If the error persists, you might want to contact Gigabyte support for more detailed troubleshooting. Good luck!