Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING-3 vs MSI Z97 Gaming 3

LukeA7

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I am looking to buy a motherboard for my new build, i7 4770k, GTX 970, and wondered whether the Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING-3 or MSI Z97 Gaming 3 would be better. I do plan on overclocking and the PC will mostly be used for gaming and video editing. They both look exactly the same spec wise and cost the exact same price, the only real difference I can find is that the MSI mobo comes with a free keyboard (I-Rocks K10) :D

Thanks!

matt1-0-1

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I suppose, if you value this feature, although it is better to go with one single GPU, as opposed to two in SLI, as you will have to deal with driver issues, higher temps and more power usage.

Stallione

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
I have the Gigabyte model.
I was also in a bit of a crysis with this comparison, Gigabyte z97x Gaming 3 / MSI Z97 Gaming 3 / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
What I found out was that all the critical components are exactly the same on all 3 of them. So then I had to go for personal choices.
Then I found out that from 3 of these only Gigabyte has 4 USB 2.0 ports at back. It certainly helped since I needed 4 to plug my Keyboard, Mouse, Printer and Bluetooth dongle. Other 2 USB 3.0 are backward compatible too but I needed them also to plug my 3.0 Portables, so my front panel is free for quick plugging like pendrives and smart phone. MSI and Asus both had only 2x2.0 and 2x3.0 at back.

And cosmetics wise, the Gigabyte has a nice neon light going at the back edge of the black board. It just goes very well with my Storm Enforcer's black and red theme. I know its not much of an important thing but im not sacrificing anything on other 2 boards for that, so...
Even after buying the Gigabyte board its recently that I found out that the MSI board does not officially support SLI. Whereas Gigabyte supports 2 way SLI and 3 way Crossfire. Not that Im gonna do multi GPU but its a possibility.

Lastly..... Ive been using my Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 G1 motherboard and not a single complain so far.

P.S. this thread's owner has solved his problem but Im giving my opinion here for other people who gets directed by the same question.