News Gigabyte's CMP 30HX Mining Card Launches With Three-Month Warranty

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Sounds fair to me. Miners run 24/7, gamers play a few hours and a day at most for the average person.

They probably did some math and figured instead of the usual 3 years a miner would hit that amount of use time in 3 months AND under constant intense loads while being packed in with other GPU's all generating tons of heat.

I'd have cut the warranty down too if I were a company even though I know that generally speaking a gpu used for mining is perfectly acceptable to resell to a gamer and they will probably get more than needed from it in terms of it not breaking.

Meanwhile, the EU mandates a two-year warranty on electronics, so in Europe this product could get the same warranty as regular graphics cards.
Isn't that for consumer goods from retailers though, whereas this would more likely be a direct business sale, probably in bulk to larger mining operations? Also, apparently that law requires the consumer to show the burden of proof that the failure was a result of a manufacturing defect after the first six months, and not a result of misuse. I suspect it might not be hard for the manufacturer to deny such claims if the card is being run under harsh, 24/7 mining conditions. And most of these cards will probably be going to China anyway, with EU sales being less common.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
I'd have cut the warranty down too if I were a company even though I know that generally speaking a gpu used for mining is perfectly acceptable to resell to a gamer and they will probably get more than needed from it in terms of it not breaking.

CMP cards are quite literally unusable for gaming, remember? How are you gonna game on a GPU with no display outputs?