News Gigabyte's new motherboard supports massive 128-lb GPUs — Reinforced slots still can't fix GPU PCB cracking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The issue here is that the GPU is attached perpendicular to the motherboard producing a leverage effect that exerts strong forces on the slot. There is nothing that prevents the GPU to be physically attached in a parallel plane to the mother board and the issue is gone.

Thats what servers do to preserve the pizza box form factor.
The issue isn't gone, unless the GPU is supported in some way other than by the slot and the metal bracket on its rear edge.

I think the main way those servers get around the problem is by being so heavy that no one is going to subject them to the same kinds of shocks during shipping. Plus, even if they do fall off a tall stack of boxes, the server around the GPUs is so heavy that it tends to move in conjunction with the GPUs, so the force differential should be less.

Jan 11, 2018
Does this problem occur when you are using a 3 fan gpu? Or it can happen with a dual fan gpu as well ? How do you prevent this problem to start affecting the gpu itself ?

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
I had a RaidMax Smilodon that had a brace on the inside of the case that flipped out that had a fan and supports for GPUS, bring that back.
11-156-062-32.jpg

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
From what I have seen, the GPU PCB can crack/sheer in 2 ways primary.
1. Impact load. This happens when a fully assembled PC is dropped on a solid floor, and usually only happens during shipping. Cases often get packed with protective filler and double boxing to mitigate this, but it's not fool proof.
2. When removing the GPU, the user forgets to release the locking tab and yanks the GPU out. This is user error, but it's also a fundamental design flaw. The locking tab is no longer accessible when thiccc GPUs with fat backplates block the tab from both sides.

Now, the kicker is, the problem might not show up immediately. It might take a few heating/cooling cycles for the problem to manifest itself. The added weight of a GPU would increase the speed of propagation of a crack/sheer because it applies more pressure.

Just having a heavy GPU in the case usually shouldn't cause a crack to start, but it does cause unsightly sagging. It only costs some $5~10 for a GPU support bracket. That's a pretty good return on investment, considering it's 0.5 to 2% of the cost of a GPU.

Alternatively, use a vertical GPU stand. It fixes sagging and the GPU PCB is no longer acting as a lever.

weilin

Distinguished
This used to be a solved problem... I'm having trouble finding a good link, but anyone who built PCs in the 90's should remember how there used to be slots on the front side of the card cage to hold the front edge of full-length add-in cards.

I've also seen cases with an over-the-top brace, to support the cards. This obviously places limits on the height of the card and requires the PCB be exposed at that point.

If you look at the Founders Edition of the 980 Ti and 1080 Ti there's actually 3 holes drilled in the back of the heatsink
https://www.overclockersclub.com/vimages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080ti_founders_edition/8.jpg

It's actually for one of those brackets you're thinking about.
Here's one attached to a card (not the same card, can't seem to find a picture for that):
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61xHmSYoXWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ATI equivalent:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91lzKRcL32L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They fit into specialized slots in cases to keep the back of the card from sagging.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
People saying the formfactor needs a redesign forget there are steps before a major move like that. Have we switched from socketed CPUs because they got hotter?
No.
We added heatsinks. Then we added fans to those heatsinks.

The logical step is for case manufacturers and GPU producers to include GPU brackets. PROPER brackets that aren't just cheap throw-in items.

Status
Not open for further replies.