Gigabyte's New P55K Gaming Laptop Features Nvidia GTX 965M, Intel Core i7 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Why even bother with mechanical hard drives in gaming laptops anymore? SSD should be standard now days. 5400 rpm really in 2015 is still an option...

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Also why do all "gaming" laptops come with i7 cpu. Tom's has been telling us for ages that an i5 can do the job just as well.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Why even bother with mechanical hard drives in gaming laptops anymore? SSD should be standard now days. 5400 rpm really in 2015 is still an option...

Any laptop that ships with a mechanical hard drive should at least have two drive bays so you can have an SSD for the OS/programs and the mechanical serving as storage only.

Jul 28, 2013
Also why do all "gaming" laptops come with i7 cpu. Tom's has been telling us for ages that an i5 can do the job just as well.

Mobile i5's are duel core hyper threaded processors, only the i7s are quad core. for some games mobile i5's are enough, but you really need a quad core these days to fully enjoy that 965m. hopefully in the future it may change.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
mobile cpu sku's are different from their desktop counterparts. In addition to what was mentioned, some mobile i7 are also HT dual core CPUs, but the Q suffix denotes a quad core sku.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
now that IPS 1080p is becomming common place, when can we expect to see the next evolution of screens? OLED Baby.

Once i saw OLED, everything else looks 10 years old

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished

The reason is because they are less power efficient, but also much more powerful and versatile. The screen is also bigger which uses more battery.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
What I don't understand s why does this latop have half the battery of a standard tablet (iPad 4 say for example) ?!?

It be like saying why doesn't my Ferrari have as good of gas mileage as my Ford Focus. Gaming laptops are quite a bit more powerful than tablets; which are about as powerful as Atom based computers.

Grenate

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Ouch. You really should have stuck with the Seagate. Western Digital is flat out terrible. Seagate is hardly any better but I can say without a douvt that WD is the worst of the more trusted HD manufacturers. Have literally never owned a hard drive from them, in the past 15 years, that didn't die prematurely.

dstarr3

Distinguished

And I've had the opposite experience. Every WD drive I've bought have lasted well beyond their life expectancy, and every Seagate I've ever bought failed almost immediately. So I don't know what to tell you.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished

Nowhere in the thread or article are seagate or western digital mentioned before grenate's comment. this is about a gaming laptop, not a hard drive mishap

Nuckles_56

Admirable

It came from this story, when when you are reading through Tom's, is right above this article

artk2219

Distinguished

And I've had the opposite experience. Every WD drive I've bought have lasted well beyond their life expectancy, and every Seagate I've ever bought failed almost immediately. So I don't know what to tell you.

Thats why i used to be all over Samsung drives, unfortunately seagate bought out their HDD division 5 years ago or so. They used to make very fast super reliable drives, as it stands now I cant recommend any one brand over the other. They all have some decent drives and some crap drives, its just luck of the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.