Gigabyte's Official Response To Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gigabyte today released an official public statement to Tom’s Hardware, indicating that the company stands by its tests results and claims made against Asus. Asus released an official statement on its website last week, indicating that Gigabyte made fals

Gigabyte's Official Response To Asus : Read more

mf_fm

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
go Gigabyte!
you tell them!

its rather interesting, i actually might change my heart on Asus, from now on for mobo choice, i would consider Gigabyte over Asus for honesty reasons.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Asus's response was little more then bluster, if Gigabyte are telling fibs why don't they prove them wrong with some live tests at a press conferance?

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have been a Asus fan for many years but this is the type of thing that could tip the balance is Gigabytes favor in the mobo war (asus and gigabyte have the highest share of sales between them but Asus is slightly ahead).

Wizwill

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I used to be a faithful ASUS mainboard user and booster. However, as their quality deteriorated, poor workmanship has taken them out of my equation. I had some small problems with Gigabyte poor documentation a few iterations back, but they are now my 1st choice (and one of the few mainboard makers still including the floppy drive interface), altho' the documentation still has some room for improvement.

The only warning: Be sure your distributor supplies current-version GB boards. Our local supplier here in Pittsburgh stiffed me with a ver. 1 (only 4 USB ports) when I specifically ordered a ver. 2 on my last build.

NateDawg80126

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
My initial thoughts on Gigabyte were that they simply wanted to steal some of the lime light, but its obvious now that they really do have a good argument here. I am personally not a fan of bashing competitors to make yourself look better, but as an Asus user, this whole ordeal has made me change my mind about them, even with no bad experiences personally. Its sad that a company that once was great, has started to cut corners now that they have the biggest market share. My next build will not be with Asus, and I wont feel bad about saving money on a higher quality board either.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
This was begging for an independent test to begin with. Eliminating any likely bias from a test would make the claims more credible to both sides.

royalcrown

Distinguished
@ waffle911
True, but if they claim hardware power savings (a chip) and it's really software power savings, that is a pretty damn big lie. It'll be some s### to see the review for sure.

gigaenvy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
This story is full of shit.

"In fact, Asus’ statement said it would go after anyone who would spread negative "rumors" about Asus and its products."

Good luck in that venture ASUS. Your boards sucks - I hear that's the latest rumor with DoA's exceeding products that work.

Soap Opera Tom's Hardware. Thanks for the drama.

CoolnQuiet

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Finally someone is calling the motherboard makers out on their marketing BS! I guess Tom's article will be the decider about which brand has the best tech.

Did Asus really threaten legal action? Are they serious? You don't threaten Tom's Hardware with legal action!

MMC65

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
By the way don't use one ASUS give you for your independent test but rather a random of the shelf one .... as they are likely to slip you a enhanced engineering sample that may have better quality components than the run of the mill production ones they have a saved a few bucks on.
e.g. $4x500,000 boards is a lot of money but may not power effective.

G

MMC65 is right.

They should not use boards that will not come directly from ASUS.. and same with GIGABYTE

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Is it bad business practice? Yes, but I can't imagine that GB or any other mobo manufacturer for that matter haven't done a little shady business of some kind themselves.

I dunno if legal action is the best path for defense. I say we need some independent tests on this. If Asus did something misleading, an apology and a correction would suffice for me. If it happened again from either side then my good graces begin to fade.

G

Drama, we don't want no drama. Yeah, I won't be buying ASUS any time soon now........

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
hehe it's interesting to see how the comments turned out after ASUS gave that pathetic response. I think ASUS would have been better off if they just kept their big corporate mouth shut.

I know their response was the turning point for me and i can just about guarantee i will never own an ASUS unless toms can convince me otherwise.

humalong

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
im a huge fan of asus, but i always considered gigabyte a great second choice.

we should all be glad that there are 2 good companies out there to choose from, regardless of the outcome of this cat fight. not like we need a M$ type company with a monopoly on hardware, that just stiffles creativity.

G

I`m ever used asus mobo but it crash when i play with dx 9.c games (any game) i`m using asus p5-800(it should go easy with dx 9.c) with pixelview nvidia 6600, i change my graphic card to his x1600 but it crash also, so i change my mobo to gigabyte i-8gx get the best result with my ati. thanks gigabyte never lie..

lucegunz

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I read tomshardware.com on the regular and I never registered but I had to register for this one and post my comment...

Being that I used to use Asus products on the regular, I am proud to say that for more then a year now I haven't used a single Asus product for over a year now... This is due to the fact that they are cutting corners left and right and its evident in their workmanship...

I am in the restaurant industry and when we use cheaper ingredients to save money its evident because our food is the same, when they use cheaper parts in the computer industry it's also evident because the inferior parts begin to brake...

If Asus doesnt want their brand being tarnished they should use quality parts and have continued to make quality instead of making a complete U-Turn in what they produce....

Just my two cents

shachar2

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
"n 2006, GIGABYTE was the first motherboard manufacturer to"...
another marketing hype, do you want to start arguing about that too?
instead of publishing motherboards features simply and clearly manufacturers like gigabyte and asus alike puts a lot of marketing hype into what should have been standard in all motherboards

the results? strange feature names like what we're seeing now on their website which only leads to confusion and realization that manufacturers have reached a stalemate where they CAN NOT distinguish their products from competitors so they results to those tactics

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
First the deception with the Asus EEE, now possibly they are deceving customers with the P5K.

I was already going to stop considering Asus products when I heard about the EEE but if Gigabyte is wrong here I might stop buying both their products.

Arctucas

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Asus used to be the best, but lately their quality has gone down, and speaking from experience; their "Customer Service" is an absolute joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.